|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
An alumni association is an association of graduates or, more broadly, of former students (alumni). In the United Kingdom and the United States, alumni of universities, colleges, schools (especially independent schools), fraternities, and sororities often form groups with alumni from the same organization. These associations often organise social events, publish newsletters or magazines, and raise funds for the organisation. Many provide a variety of benefits and services that help alumni maintain connections to their educational institution and fellow graduates. In the US, most associations do not require its members to be an alumnus of a university to enjoy membership and privileges.
Additionally, such groups often support new alumni, and provide a forum to form new friendships and business relationships with people of similar background.
Alumni associations are mainly organised around universities or departments of universities, but may also be organised among students that studied in a certain country. In the past, they were often considered to be the university's or school's old boy society (or old boys network). Today, alumni associations involve graduates of all age groups and demographics.
Alumni associations are often organised into chapters by city, region, or country.
Alumni associations can also include associations of former employees of a business. An alumnus of a company is a person who was formerly employed by it. These associations are growing in popularity and becoming an important part of a personal business network.
List of Alumni associations
- St. Xavier's Alumni Association, Patna
- Cal Poly Pomona Alumni Association
- University of Florida Alumni Association
- Georgia Tech Alumni Association
- Texas Exes, more formally The Ex-Students' Association of The University of Texas (at Austin)
- The Association of Former Students (Texas A&M University)
- Texas Tech Alumni Association
- Bruin Alumni Association (UCLA—not affiliated with the school or its official alumni association)
- UCSD Alumni Association
- University of Washington Alumni Association
- Alumni Club of Vienna University of Technology (Austria)
- "Corporate, Military, and Government Alumni Groups (250+)". 2008-06-01. Archived from the original on 13 September 2020. Retrieved 2008-09-08.