Alverstone railway station
|The old station building, now converted into private residence.|
|Area||Isle of Wight|
|Pre-grouping||Isle of Wight and Newport Junction Railway (1868-inc;1875-1887)
Isle of Wight Central Railway (1887 to 1923)
|Post-grouping||Southern Railway (1923 to 1948)
Southern Region of British Railways (1948 to 1956)
|1 February 1875||Opened|
|6 February 1956||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Served by the line from Newport to Sandown the station was incorporated by the Isle of Wight and Newport Junction Railway in 1868 opened in 1875. Absorbed by the Isle of Wight Central Railway, it became part of the Southern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. Passing on to the Southern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948, it was then closed 81 years after opening by the British Transport Commission.
The site today
The station house is now a private residence. called "Casa Mia".
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Sandown||British Rail Southern Region
Isle of Wight Central Railway
Sandown to Newport line
- Pomeroy, C,A "Isle Of Wight Railways, Then and Now": Oxford,Past & Present Publishing, 1993, ISBN 0-947971-62-9
- Bennett,A "Southern Holiday Lines in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight": Cheltenham, Runpast 1994 ISBN 1-870754-31-X
- Hay,P "Steaming Through the Isle Of Wight": Midhurst,Middleton, 1988 ISBN 0-906520-56-8
- Britton,A "Once upon a line (Vol 4)": Oxford, OPC, 1994 ISBN 0-86093-513-2
- Gammell,C.J "Southern Branch Lines": Gammell,C.J Oxford, OPC, 1997 ISBN 0-86093-537-X
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Station on navigable O.S.
|This article on a railway station in South East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|