Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
|Alvin and the Chipmunks:
Promotional teaser poster
|Directed by||Mike Mitchell|
|Produced by||Janice Karman
|Written by||Jonathan Aibel
|Based on||Alvin and the Chipmunks
by Ross Bagdasarian
by Janice Karman
Matthew Gray Gubler
|Music by||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Editing by||Peter Amundson|
|Studio||20th Century Fox
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Running time||88 minutes|
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked is a 2011 American adventure comedy film directed by Mike Mitchell. The film stars Jason Lee, David Cross and Jenny Slate with the voices of Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler, Jesse McCartney, Amy Poehler, Anna Faris and Christina Applegate.
It was distributed by Twentieth Century Fox and produced by Fox 2000 Pictures, Regency Enterprises and Bagdasarian Company. The film is a sequel to the 2007 film Alvin and the Chipmunks and its 2009 sequel Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, and it was released on December 16, 2011.
For a vacation, Dave (Jason Lee) and the Chipmunks (Alvin, Simon and Theodore) (Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler and Jesse McCartney) go on a cruise ship. The Chipmunks and Chipettes (Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor) (Christina Applegate, Anna Faris and Amy Poehler) end up creating trouble. Dave notices that his old boss, Ian Hawke (David Cross) is working as a the ships safety monitor dressed as a pelican, and is out to inform the captain if chipmunks and chipettes cause more problems. Alvin goes para-sailing on a kite and he flies away with the other chipmunks. Dave goes on a hang glider to find them with Ian and they both end up in the ocean around Hawaii.
Meanwhile, the six chipmunks find an island and they sleep for the night. Dave enlists Ian's help to find the same island and begin looking for the six chipmunks. The next morning, the chipmunks go and find food and while doing so, an island castaway named Zoe (Jenny Slate) shows up and sees the Chipmunks and Chipettes for the first time. They then go to Zoe's tree house where Eleanor sprains her ankle and Simon gets bitten by a spider, the side effects including personality changes and loss of inhibition.
The morning after, everyone observes Simon's personality has changed and he has no memory of being Simon, he also thinks he is a French, adventurous chipmunk named Simone (Alan Tudyk). "Simone" becomes attracted to Jeanette and asks her to dance with him, to Alvin and Brittany's shock and dismay. Later, Zoe takes Simone, Jeanette, Eleanor and Theodore to a lake with a waterfall and Simone finds a cave. He returns with a gold bracelet which he gives to Jeanette as a crown. Brittany and Alvin see an active volcano the next day and they decide that they have to leave the island with the others. Theodore and "Simone" find Dave and Ian and they go to meet with the other chipmunks. They all begin to prepare a raft to get them off the island and everyone is assigned a job. When Jeanette and "Simone" go and look for food, Zoe knocks "Simone" unconscious and kidnaps Jeanette, "Simone" reverts to Simon.
Everyone finds Simon awake and he cannot remember anything since the bite. They discover that Zoe has taken Jeanette and they head towards the waterfall. When they approached the tree log to cross, Dave and Alvin decide they'll go and find Jeanette. As Zoe forces Jeanette to get the treasure in the cave by tying her to a rope, Alvin and Dave come to her rescue. The island begins to rumble again and Zoe let go of the rope and Jeanette runs with Dave and Alvin back to the raft. When they reach the log to cross, Dave almost falls.
Alvin and Ian convince Zoe to help save Dave. They then run towards the raft and escape the eruption. While on the raft, Zoe apologizes to Jeanette for kidnapping her and forcing her to get the treasure. As a gift, Jeanette gives Zoe the gold bracelet that Simon had given to her. Alvin reconciles with Dave and they are rescued. The Chipmunks and Chipettes perform at the International Music Awards. Ian also starts a new career as a screenwriter by selling a screenplay about Zoe's story to Hollywood, earning him his wealth back.
In the post-credit scenes, the Chipmunks, the Chipettes, and Dave are on a plane heading back home. Alvin is speaking on the pilot's microphone and tricks the passengers into thinking that the plane's destination is set for Timbuktu, Alvin accidentally pushes the food cart, and it hits Dave, leading to him shouting his trademark yell, "ALLLLVINNN!!", once more.
- Jason Lee as David Seville
- David Cross as Ian Hawke
- Jenny Slate as Zoe
- Andy Buckley as Captain Correlli
- Justin Long as Alvin
- Matthew Gray Gubler as Simon
- Jesse McCartney as Theodore
- Christina Applegate as Brittany
- Anna Faris as Jeanette
- Amy Poehler as Eleanor
- Alan Tudyk as Simone
The movie featured one of Carnival's newest and biggest cruise ships, Carnival Dream. The external shots and interior stateroom suite were filmed during a 7-day Caribbean cruise. The casino, dance club, and dining room were filmed on a set not attempting to match the actual interior of the Carnival Dream cruise ship.
The film grossed a total of $133,110,742 in North America, and another $209,584,693 overseas, for a total worldwide gross of $342,695,435.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked made $6.7 million on its opening day, which was lower than the opening day grosses of the original film ($13.3 million) and its sequel ($18.8 million). For its opening weekend, the film ranked at the #2 spot behind Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows with $23.2 million, which was less than the opening weekends of the franchise's previous two films, the original film's $44.3 million and its sequel's $48.9 million respectively.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked received mainly negative reviews from film critics. It currently holds a 12% rating on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes based on 71 reviews.The film also holds a 24 rating on Metacritic. Actor David Cross has spoken critically of the film, calling it "the most unpleasant experience [he has] ever had [during production]."
- 2012 BMI Film & TV Awards: Film Music Award for Mark Mothersbaugh (winner)
- 2012 Kids' Choice Awards: Favorite Movie (winner)
- 2012 Teen Choice Awards: Choice Movie Voice for Jesse McCartney (nominated)
|Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Music from the Motion Picture|
|Soundtrack album by The Chipmunks and The Chipettes|
|Released||November 15, 2011|
|Genre||Pop, rock, hip hop, dance|
|Length||42:43 (Album version)
52:32 (Target Exclusive Limited Edition)
49:45 (Digital Deluxe Edition)
|Producer||Ross Bagdasarian, Janice Karman, Ali Dee Theodore|
|The Chipmunks and The Chipettes chronology|
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Music from the Motion Picture is the licensed soundtrack based on the film. It was released on November 15, 2011 by Atlantic Records. Released to US Target stores, a limited edition version of the soundtrack was released containing four exclusive bonus tracks. iTunes and Amazon.com released a deluxe edition available only on digital download containing three bonus tracks.
|1.||"Party Rock Anthem"||Peter Schroeder, Davide Jamahl Listenbee, Stefan Gordy, Skyler Gordy||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||4:14|
|2.||"Bad Romance"||Nadir Khayat, Stefani Germanotta||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||4:27|
|3.||"Trouble"||Alecia Moore, Tim Armstrong||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||3:08|
|4.||"Whip My Hair"||Ronald Jackson, Janae Ratliff||The Chipettes||2:31|
|5.||"Vacation"||Charlotte Caffey, Kathy Valentine, Jane M. Wiedlin||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes (featuring BASKO)||2:59|
|6.||"We Have Arrived (*)"||Ali Theodore, Michael Klein, Rachel Rickert, Julian Davis||RAE (featuring Classic)||3:22|
|7.||"Say Hey"||Michael Franti, Carl Rogers Young||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes (featuring Nomadik)||3:01|
|8.||"Real Wild Child"||Johnny O'Keefe, Johnny Greenan, Dave Owens||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes (featuring Nomadik)||2:43|
|9.||"S.O.S."||Jonathan Rotem, Evan "Kidd" Bogart, Ed Cobb||The Chipettes||2:52|
|10.||"We No Speak Americano / Conga"||Nicola Selerno, Renato Carosone, Enrique Garcia||The Chipettes (featuring Barnetta DaFonseca)||2:38|
|11.||"Survivor"||Beyoncé Knowles, Anthony Dent, Matthew Knowles||The Chipettes||3:59|
|12.||"Born This Way / Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now / Firework"||Stefani Germanotta, Fernando Garibay, Paul Blair, Jeppe Laursen, Gene McFadden, John Whitehead, Jerry Cohen, Esther Dean, Mikkel Eriksen, Tom Hermansen, Katy Perry, Sandy Julien Wilhelm||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||2:47|
|13.||"Club Can't Handle Me"||Michael Caren, Tramar Dillard, David Guetta, Carmen Michelle Key, Kasia Livingston, Frederic Riesterer, Giorgio Tuinfort||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||3:57|
|Target Limited Edition Bonus Tracks|
|14.||"Love Train"||Kenneth Gamble, Leon Huff||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||2:47|
|15.||"Fly"||Stan Frazier, Murphy Karges, Mark McGarth, Rodney Shappard, Joseph "McG" Nichol||The Chipmunks||3:18|
|16.||"Help"||John Lennon, Paul McCartney||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||2:19|
|17.||"Jungle Boogie"||Ronald Bell, Claydes Eugene Smith, Robert Spike Mickens, Donald Boyce, Richard Westfield, Dennis Ronald Thomas, Robert Earl Bell, George Brown||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||1:22|
|Digital Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks|
|15.||"Holiday"||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes||3:07|
|16.||"We'll Be Alright"||The Chipmunks & The Chipettes (featuring BASKO)||3:14|
(*) - denotes original song
An official video game was also released with the film's soundtrack, which was by Behavior Interactive and Published by Majesco Entertainment. It was available on the Wii, Nintendo DS, and Kinect for Xbox 360.
|U.S. Billboard 200||36|
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart||23|
In June 2013, 20th Century Fox announced that a sequel, Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, would be released December 11, 2015.
- Lussier, Germain (June 16, 2011). "‘Alvin and the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked’ Teaser Trailer". Slash Film. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Title « British Board of Film Classification
- Kaufman, Amy; Fritz, Ben (December 15, 2011). "Movie Projector: 'Sherlock,' 'Alvin' sequels kick off holiday season". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked @ Box Office Mojo
- Zeitchik, Steven (October 26, 2010). "Alvin and the Chipmunks closes in on its ringleader". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Friday Report: 'Sherlock,' 'Alvin' Stumble, 'M:I' Dominant in IMAX
- Weekend Report: Disappointing Debuts From 'Sherlock,' 'Alvin' Sequels
- Rotten Tomatoes: Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
- Alviiiin! David Cross calls 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked' 'the most unpleasant experience I've ever had'
- Gallo, Phil (May 17, 2012). "Backbeat: Rolfe Kent Receives Career Achievement Honor at BMI Film and TV Awards". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- 'Kids Choice Awards': And the winners are...
- Teen Choice Awards 2012: 'Breaking Dawn,' 'Snow White' Lead Second Wave of Nominees
- Amazon.com: Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Various Artists: Music
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Music from the Motion Picture (CD). Atlantic Records. 2011. 528215-2.
- Liner notes credit the song as "Whip My Hair" NOT "Whip My Tail".
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Music from the Motion Picture (CD). Atlantic Records. 2011. 528215-2.
- Liner notes credit the song as "The Chipettes" NOT "The Chipmunks & The Chipettes".
- Amazon.com: Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Limited Edition Inckudes...
- Amazon.com: Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Deluxe edition
- iTunes Store: Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (Deluxe Edition)
- Alvin and The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked Video Game | Home | Majesco Entertainment
- Lussier, Germain (June 11, 2013). "Fox Dates ‘Frankenstein,’ ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks 4′ and Animated Films Through 2018". /Film. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- Official website
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked at the Internet Movie Database
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked at the TCM Movie Database
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked at Box Office Mojo
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked at Rotten Tomatoes
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked at Metacritic
- Official Soundtrack Website