Alvirne High School
|Alvirne High School|
|Location||200 Derry Road,
Hudson, New Hampshire, United States
|District||Hudson School District, NH SAU 81|
|Colors||Maroon & Gold|
Coordinates: Alvirne High School is located in the town of Hudson, New Hampshire, United States, with an enrollment of approximately 1,300 students from grades 9-12. Alvirne gets its name from a prominent Hudson family, the Alfred and Virginia Hills family, who left a large piece of property to the town in the early 20th century to provide land for the building of a high school. A contraction of their names (Alfred and Virginia) provides the name for the school. The school mascot is the bronco, and the school colors are maroon and yellow.
The school was almost never built. A tract in the Hills' will providing for the school required that it open by a certain date. Behind schedule, the town held 4-H horticulture classes in the partially complete building to meet the literal deadline.
On September 8, 1974, a large fire gutted the building, requiring most of it to be rebuilt. The agricultural school was opened in the 1950s, and the modern vocational building opened in 1993. The large, 100-year-old Alvirne barn was heavily damaged by a fire in late March 1993, a year after the Palmer Vocational Center was opened.
The school's gymnasium is named after former principal Chester J. Steckevicz.
The last principal, Bryan K. Lane, became the district's superintendent in the 2012-2013 school year. Steven Beals, the former principal of Laconia High School, took Bryan's place.
Alvirne High School is the only high school in the Hudson School District, under the authority of School Administrative Unit # 81 of New Hampshire (SAU81). The Superintendent of Schools is Alvirne's former principal, Bryan K. Lane. The system is under the direction of the Hudson School Board, consisting of five elected members (elected by town vote) and one student representative (non-voting; elected by Alvirne's student body).
- Principal - Steven Beals
- Asst. Principal- Vincent Pagan
- Assistant Dean of Students - Vacant
- Dean of Academics - Susan Bureau
- Director of Guidance - William R. Hughen
- Assistant Principal for Student Services - Sherri Lavoie
- Vocational Director - Karen Worthen
- Kyle Jackson - Minor league baseball player drafted by the Boston Red Sox in 2001. He most recently played for the Portland Sea Dogs of the AA Eastern League in 2008.
- Jennifer Lavoie - August 1993 Playboy Playmate, charter member of the Playboy X-treme Team, and star of various Playboy videos
- Alvirne High School :: Hudson School District
- http://www.areanewsgroup.com/archives/2006/0908/HLN.html Hudson History Unrolled: The Burning and Rebirth of Alvirne High School
- http://www.sau81.org Hudson School District
- "Steven Beals Nominated Principal of AHS". 2012-05-23. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- Administration Department | Alvirne High School :: Hudson School District
- "Kyle Jackson". SoxProspects.com. Archived from the original on 3 January 2008. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "Jennifer Lavoie resume". JenniferLavoie.com. Retrieved 2007-04-02.