From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the municipality in Rajasthan, India. For its namesake district, see Alwar district. For the Hindu saints, see Alwars. For places in Iran, see Alwar, Iran.
Alwar is famous for its scenic landscape
Alwar is famous for its scenic landscape
Alwar is located in Rajasthan
Coordinates: 27°20′N 76°23′E / 27.34°N 76.38°E / 27.34; 76.38Coordinates: 27°20′N 76°23′E / 27.34°N 76.38°E / 27.34; 76.38
Country India
State Rajasthan
District Alwar
Elevation 268 m (879 ft)
Population (2011)
 • city 315,310
 • Metro 341,422
 • Official Punjabi
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)
PIN 3010 01
Telephone code +0144
Vehicle registration RJ-02

Alwar is a city and administrative headquarters of Alwar District in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is located around 160 km south of Delhi, and about 150 km north of Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan. Alwar is part of National Capital Region (NCR). India's highest ever recorded temperature of 50.6 °C was measured at Alwar on 10 May 1956.[1] Alwar is also famous for its Olive plantation in Tinkirudi.[2][3]

Alwar was formerly the capital of the princely state of Alwar. It was formerly spelt as "Ulwar" in British India. This placed it in last position in alphabetically ordered lists, so a king changed the spelling to "Alwar" to bring it to the top. Alwar is also known by the name "MatsyaNagar"[citation needed]

New residential Buildings in Neemrana Alwar


Main article: Alwar State

Alwar dates back to 1000 A.D. Maharaja Alaghraj, second son of Maharaja Kakil of Amer (old seat of Jaipur state) ruled the area in the eleventh century and his territory extended up to the present city of Alwar. He founded the city of Alpur in 1106 Vikrami samvat (1049 A.D.) after his own name which eventually became Alwar.[4] The princely state of Alwar was ruled by Pratap Singh, a Rajput of the Kachwaha lineage, in 1770. His son, aided the British against the Marathas. After the battle of Laswari (1803) Alwar became the first state of Rajputana to sign a treaty of 'Offensive and Defensive Alliance' with the East India Company.[4] A few years later, Bakhtawar Singh ventured an armed incursion into neighbouring Jaipur, the senior Kachwaha state, and the erstwhile overlord of his predecessor. Varun Talwar was defeated; a fresh engagement was made with him by the East India Company, prohibiting him from political intercourse with other states without British consent. During the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857, Raoraja Bane Singh sent a force to relieve the British garrison in Agra. The Muslims deserted and the rest were defeated by the rebels. Pran Sukh Yadav, who fought beside Rao Tula Ram of Rewari in 1857, settled along with the kinsmen of dead soldiers at Village Nihalpura, Behror Tehsil, of Alwar District.

Alwar acceded unto the dominion of India following the independence of India in 1947. On 18 March 1948, the state merged with three neighbouring princely states (Bharatpur, Dholpur and Karauli) to form the Matsya Union. On 15 May 1949, it was united with neighbouring princely states[which?] and the territory of Ajmer to form the present-day Indian state of Rajasthan.



The Residents of Alwar are from different communities. Alwar was a part of Matsya region.[5] The principal communities are the Jats, Ahirs, Meos, Khanzadas, Rajputs, and Gujjars.


Alwar is famous for its Kalakand (Milk-Cake), a world famous dessert. This is a special desert made of Milk. Its demand from all over the world has given Alwar a special name on the map of world.

Kite Festival[edit]

The people of Alwar celebrate the festival of Rakshabandhan enthusiastically by flying kites. In this sport they compete to cut each other's kite.

Ayurvedic Medicines[edit]

Alwar is famous for variety of Ayurvedic and Unani Medicinal Products.[citation needed]


Alwar is located at 27°34′N 76°36′E / 27.57°N 76.6°E / 27.57; 76.6.[6] It has an average elevation of 271 metres (889 feet).

Rivers in Alwar: Ruparail River, North Eastern Aravali Region, Neelkanth

Mineral resources[edit]

Alwar is fairly rich in mineral wealth. It produces marble, granite, feldspar, dolomite, quartz, lime stone, soap stone, barites, copper clay, copper ore and pyrophylite.[7]

Developments after becoming part of NCR[edit]

A 180-km rail route between Alwar and Delhi has been approved by the Board. As per the proposal, the route will connect Alwar to Delhi via Gurgaon and Rewari. Over Rs32,000 crore will be spent on this route. The travel time will be faster as the line will be connected to the Metro under regional rail rapid system giving better transport facilities to the locals.[8] Keeping in view the industrial importance of Alwar district, approval in principle was given to the Rs285 crore drinking water projects for the seven towns of Alwar district.[9]

Local attractions and excursions[edit]

Museum near Alwar fort with Aravali hill in background
Alwar rail station outside
Alwar Junction

Alwar contains many interesting and historical monuments. The city has a beautiful lake and a picturesque valley. The Sariska Tiger Reserve is located in the Aravali hills only a few kilometres away from Alwar. The sanctuary, which is a Project Tiger reserve, also boasts of many other species, including rare birds and plants. The military cantonment of Itarana lies on the outskirts of Alwar. Hill Fort Kesroli now a heritage hotel is also near by.[10] Raj Rishi College has existed in Alwar for over a hundred years.[citation needed]

Bhangarh Haunted Fort[edit]

Bhangarh Fort is a haunted fort and the Archeological Survey of India has put up a board on the fort gate that it is prohibited for tourists to stay inside the fort area after sunset and before sunrise. This fort has become a major tourist attraction.[11]

Fairy Queen[edit]

Fairy Queen is the oldest working engines in the world and one of national treasure (cultural artifacts) of India. The engine was built in 1855 and acquired by the Eastern Indian Railways from a British firm. Now the train is used for tourism purposes that departs from the Delhi encampment and reaches its destination at Alwar, in Rajasthan.


The Sariska Palace[12] within Sariska Tiger Reserve
Siliserh Lake surrounded by green Aravali Hills


Alwar has an important place in Agriculture production in Rajasthan. Total geographical area of the district is 7,83,281 hectares which is about 2.5 per cent of the State. In 2010–2011 the net cultivated area is 5,07,171 hecters from which about 83 per cent area viz. – 4,51,546 is irrigated and remaining 17 per cent area viz. – 82,903 is unirrigated. Double cropped area is 2,52,049 hectares of which 32,230 hecter (12%) area is irrigated and remaining 2,19,819 hecter (88%) area is unirrigated. Thus, the total cropped area of the district is 8,12,873 hecters. In Kharif season Bajra, Maize, Jowar, Karif pulses, Arhar, Sesamum, Cotton, Guar etc. are sown in about 3,29,088 hectare (42%) and in Rabi season Wheat, Barley, Gram, Mustard, Taramira, Rabi pulses etc. are sown in about 4,52,527 hectare (58%). The main source of irrigation are wells and Tube Wells. By 26064 Tube Wells about 192861 hectare area is being irrigated and by 57196 Wells about 265169 hectares area is irrigated. By other sources like canals, tanks about 404 hectares area is irrigated. About 35470 electric motors and 66502 Diesel pump sets are being used for Irrigation purposes. The normal rainfall for the district is 657.3 mm. The average rainfall in last ten years in the district is 724 mm. The rainfall distribution in the district is uneven and scattered which resulted some times flood problems and some time draught position which affect the Agriculture production as well as cropping pattern in Kharif & Rabi season. Thus, the Agriculture in the district by and large depends on rainfall distribution. The average rainfall in 2011 up to sep. is 217 mm.

Education in Alwar[edit]




Population Growth of Alwar City 
Census Pop.
1891 52,400
1901 56,700 8.2%
1911 41,300 -27.2%
1921 44,800 8.5%
1941 54,100
1951 57,900 7.0%
1961 72,700 25.6%
1971 100,800 38.7%
1981 140,000 38.9%
1991 210,100 50.1%
2001 266,203 26.7%
2011 341,422 28.3%
Population growth through the years
Year Population


According to 2011 census the population of Alwar is 1,015,310.[15] city population of Alwar in 2011 is 341,422.

Religions in Alwar[citation needed]
Religion Per cent
Distribution of religions
Includes Sikhs (0.2%), Buddhists (<0.2%).


Alwar district has 16 tehsils:[16]

Villages in Alwar[edit]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Extreme Weather Events" (PDF). India Meteorological Department. Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  2. ^
  3. ^
  4. ^ a b "Welcome to Alwar, The Gateway of Rajastan > History Of District Alwar". Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  5. ^ "History of Alwar,Origin of Alwar,Alwar History In Rajasthan India". Retrieved 2013-03-07. 
  6. ^ "Maps, Weather, Videos, and Airports for Alwar, India". Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  7. ^ "Welcome to Alwar, The Gateway of Rajastan > Mineral Resources". Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  8. ^ "Rs 1,000 crore for cluster development in Haryana". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  9. ^ "Bharatpur becomes NCR; Delhi Metro to chug into Alwar soon". Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  10. ^ "Account Suspended". Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  11. ^ "The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  12. ^ [1][dead link]
  13. ^ a b "Historical Census of India". Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  14. ^ "Census of Alwar". Retrieved 19 November 2014. 
  15. ^ "Alwar District Population Census 2011, Rajasthan literacy sex ratio and density". Retrieved 6 April 2013. 
  16. ^ "Welcome to Alwar, The Gateway of Rajastan > Administrative Setup Of Alwar District". Retrieved 2013-03-07. 
  17. ^ [2][dead link]


External links[edit]