Alwar Thiru Nagar
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai South|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Virugambakkam|
Alwarthirunagar is an Indian city in the state of Tamil Nadu. The township was developed by the Ms. City Lando Corporation in the late 1960s. Due to the development of schools and shopping centres, Alwarthirunagar quickly emerged as a prime area of importance in the western part of Chennai. With 20 acres of forestation, the Alwarthirunagar has low levels of pollution and provides a high standard of living to the residents of Alwarthiru Nagar.
Ramakrishna Nagar is located geographically in the middle of Alwarthirunagar. It features a large playground, in use since the 1980s, that is also known for the cricket matches played there. New construction in 2008 reduced the overall size of the playground, and flooding is a common problem during the rainy season.
Velan Nagar is approximately 1 km from the Alwarthirunagar bus stop and about 800 meters from the Lamech bus stop. During the late 1980s there were water stagnation issues during the rainy season, but by the 1990s, the area had developed into a very large residential location. The number of playgrounds decreased. Previously, many people from Alwarthiruagar had come to Velan Nagar to play games, and cycling was the primary mode of travel. This location also has a Banyan tree that is considered holy. The Ganesh temple at this location has been recently renovated.
Mega Mart- a multibrand superstore is located on Arcot Road, next to La Chatelaine School.
Kamatchi Store and Devar Store on Kamaraj Salai are important grocery stores in this area.
- KFC and MCDonalds are the fast foods located on Arcot Road
- Iyengar Bakery and Dominos Pizza are located on Gandhi Road.
- The Vigneshwara Library is located on Chintamani Vinayagar Koil Street.
- Sri Venkateswara Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Le Chatelaine School
- Lamech school
- Andhra Bank- located on Arcot Road
- ICICI Bank - located on Arcot Road
- HDFC Bank - located on Arcot Road
- Axis Bank - located on Arcot Road
- Punjab National Bank - located on Radhakrishnan Salai