Michalka in 2007.
||Alyson Renae Michalka
|Also known as
||Aly, Aly Michalka
March 25, 1989 |
Torrance, California, U.S.
||Pop, pop rock
||Actress, singer, songwriter, guitarist
||Vocals, guitar, piano
Alyson Renae "Aly" Michalka (pron.: /mɪˈʃɑːkə/; born March 25, 1989) is an American actress and recording artist. Michalka gained fame for playing the role of Keely Teslow in the Disney Channel original series Phil of the Future. She is also known for her roles as Marti Perkins in the CW television drama Hellcats, Taylor Callum in the Disney Channel Original Movie Cow Belles, and Rhiannon Abernathy in the Golden Globe-nominated teen film Easy A. She is also known as one half of the musical duo 78violet (formerly Aly & AJ) with her sister Amanda Michalka. Aly has modeled for OP (Ocean Pacific) and Penumbra. She has also done fashion shoots for Maxim, OK! and Zooey.
Early life 
Michalka was born in Torrance, California; she grew up in Seattle, Washington and Southern California, with her sister, Amanda. Her father, Mark, owns a contracting company, and her mother, Carrie, is a musician and performed with the Christian "JC Band".
Acting career 
Michalka made her acting debut as Keely Teslow on the Disney Channel Original Series, Phil of the Future. She has also starred in the Disney Channel Original Movies Now You See It..., and Cow Belles, in which she appears opposite her sister. She had a leading role in the Walden Media film Bandslam, released in August 2009. She also played a role in the movie The Roommate. In 2004, Michalka was cast in the role of Keely Teslow on the Disney Channel's Phil of the Future. The series premiered on June 18, 2004. In August 2006, Disney Channel ended the series after two seasons. Michalka also appeared in two Disney movies, Cow Belles and Now You See It.... Michalka made a guest appearance on CSI: NY, and in 2006, starred in an unsold Disney Channel pilot Haversham Hall which was not picked up. In 2007, Michalka starred alongside her sister AJ in the MTV television film Super Sweet 16: The Movie based on the MTV original series My Super Sweet 16. She played the role of the villainous popular mean girl Taylor Tiara. In 2009, she appeared in the Summit Entertainment musical comedy film Bandslam about a group of misfits who form a rock band. Despite failing at the box office, the film and Michalka's performance was well received among critics.
In April 2010, The CW announced Michalka was cast in the main role of Marti Perkins on the cheerleading drama series Hellcats. The show premiered to September 8, 2010 to 3 million viewers. Despite a successful premiere, ratings failed to remain high with the series finale reaching a low 1.19 million viewers. In May 2011, The CW announced the show was not renewed for a second season. In 2010 and 2011 respectively, Michalka had major supporting roles in films Easy A and The Roommate. Michalka is set to star in the independent drama film Long Time Gone alongside Eva Longoria, Virginia Madsen and Amanda Crew. The film is set to be released in 2012.
Music career 
Michalka and her sister comprise the musical duo 78violet, and released their first album, Into the Rush, on August 16, 2005. In September 2006, they brought out a holiday album covering 9 tracks, along with two originals, titled Acoustic Hearts of Winter. In July 2007, their album, Insomniatic, hit stores, featuring the American top 20 hit single, "Potential Breakup Song". The two were to release a third album in early 2010, but it has been postponed after they left their label.
Personal life 
Michalka has played the piano since she was five and started playing the guitar at the age of 13. She started acting when she was five years old, mostly in church play productions. She is a Christian and continues to practice the faith.
||Phil of the Future
||Unsold Disney Channel pilot
||Episode: "Keep It Real"
Awards and nominations 
- ^ "The Name Database – Aly Michalka". Retrieved 2012-09-09.
- ^ Axson, Scooby (July 7, 2006). "Article: Pop sisters: Better known for their acting, Aly and AJ leap onto music... | AccessMyLibrary – Promoting library advocacy". AccessMyLibrary. Retrieved May 11, 2010.
- ^ "Tweenage Riot". Blender Magazine. May 23, 2006. Retrieved September 24, 2010.
- ^ Aly & AJ Writing New Songs, Plot Films. Billboard. January 10, 2008.
- ^ Rice, Lynette (July 28, 2011). "'Hellcats' star to appear on 'CSI: NY'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- ^ Stanhope, Kate (May 17, 2011). "The CW Renews One Tree Hill and Nikita, Cancels Hellcats". TV Guide. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- ^ "New Album Delayed?". Aly & AJ Reaction. November 9, 2008.
- ^ "Aly & AJ, 11/05 – Interviews – Christian Music Today". Christianitytoday.com. Retrieved May 11, 2010.
- ^ "Grounded in Faith – Today's Christian". Archived from the original on February 17, 2007.
- ^ "Thesps sign up for 'Long Time Gone' August 26, 2011, Variety
- ^ "Aly Michalka Stars In Sequoia Movie"
- ^ "Aly Michalka Shares A Photo From The Set Of Sequoia"
External links