Alyssa is derivation from the name of the flower alyssum.
|Look up Alyssa in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Alyssa is a currently popular feminine given name with multiple origins.
As used in western countries, the name is usually derived from the name of the flower alyssum. The name of the flower derives from the Greek roots a- ("not") and lyssum (insane); the flower was formerly thought to cure skin diseases. It shares many variants in common with the name Alice and is occasionally considered a form of that name as well.
It has been a popular name in the United States, where it ranked as the 19th most popular name given to baby girls born in 2009, having ranked among the top 100 names for girls since 1986 and among the top 20 names since 1997.
Alissa/Alisa and Elissa (Arabic: اليسار / ALA-LC: Alīssār; اليسا / Alīssā; عليسا ‘Alīssā; عليسة / ‘Alīssah) are variations of the name of Queen Elissa, the founder of Carthage, and is used in Middle Eastern countries.  The name Elissa is likely a variant of the Phoenician name Elishat, meaning "wanderer".
List of individuals with the name Alyssa
- Alyssa Campanella (b. 1990), American beauty queen
- Alyssa Milano (b. 1972), American actress
- Alyssa Reid (b. 1993), Canadian singer-songwriter
- Alyssa Sutherland (b. 1982), Australian actress
- Mike Campbell. "Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Alyssa". Behind the Name. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- "Popular Baby Names". Ssa.gov. 2009-08-26. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- "Al- Watan Daily's Article" (in Arabic). www.alwatan.com.sa. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- "National Organization for Civil Registration (An Iranian Government Office) - Directory of Names" (in Persian). www.nocrir.com. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- "Female Names / E, Page 2 of 4. Etymologies of names. Meanings and Origins of female names". 20000-NAMES.COM. 2008-08-02. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
|This given name-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|