Amílcar de Sousa
Amílcar Augusto Queirós de Sousa (1876–1940) was a Portuguese medical doctor, and author of many health books, being the most famous O Naturismo (Naturism), published in 1912. A pioneer of vegetarianism in Portugal, he was the president of the first Portuguese vegetarian society, the Sociedade Vegetariana de Portugal, founded in the city of Porto, 1911, and the director of O Vegetariano (The Vegetarian), a monthly magazine on vegetarianism.
He corresponded with many well known personalities from medicine and science, such as the German naturalist Ernst Haeckel, the American medical doctor John Harvey Kellogg, and the French physician Paul Carton.
He advocated a raw vegetarian diet. He was also against eggs, milk, tobacco and alcohol. He said that eating an egg was the same as ”eating a chicken embryo” and that milk was “not the food of man.”
D. M. Richardson wrote in the magazine The Healthy Life (July, 1912):
|“||It is, by the way, interesting, to note in connection with this question of frutarianism, of fruit and salad eaters, that Dr. Amilcar de Souza, the president of the Portuguese Vegetarian Society, whose dietary, formed strictly of fruit and nuts, we quoted recently, has now added a cress salad to each of his meals. His plan at the present moment is as follows: - two meals a day, at noon and at six o’clock, and at each of them twenty-five nuts, six apples, six oranges, twelve dates and cress salad. He finds himself in the best of health.||”|
He considered Pythagoras to be the most notable philosopher of all time and wrote that Jean-Jacques Rousseau was the best educator, as in Émile, or On Education, he valued education in contact with nature.
Books in Spanish
Most of his books have been translated to Spanish. Some of them are:
- El naturismo La Gutenberg. 1913. Valencia.
- La salud por el naturismo La Gutenberg. 1918. Valencia
- Tesis médica naturista
- La curación del estreñimiento
- Catecismo naturista
- El naturismo en veinte lecciones
- Cómo detendremos la muerte? (with Capo, N.)
- Tesis Medica Naturista. Sauch. 1976. Barcelona
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado, Porto.
- Grande enciclopédia portuguesa e brasileira, Edição de Editorial Enciclopédia, limitada, 1936, volume 29, p. 761.
- Grande enciclopédia portuguesa e brasileira, Edição de Editorial Enciclopédia, limitada, 1936, volume 34, p. 416.
- Delmar Domingos de Carvalho, Vegetarianismo, a solução para uma vida e um mundo melhor, Editorial Minerva, Lisboa, 2009
- A fotografia como prova documental da robustez dos vegetaristas, vegetarianos e frugívoros
- Vegetarianism in Portugal: a century of history European Vegetarian Union
- O Utopista portuense Ângelo Jorge: Subsídios para a sua biografia (Portuguese)
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado, III Volume, 1912, p. 32 and 135
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado, III Volume, 1912, p. 31
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado, III Volume, 1912, p. 382
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado, (in various articles)
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado,V Volume, 1914, p. 350.
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado,III Volume, 1912, p. 50.
- Quoted in O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado, III Volume, 1912, p. 183.
- Interview in the newspaper A Capital, 11-1-1920.
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado X Volume, p. 179
- Libros sobre Naturismo Sociedad Vegetariana Naturista de Valencia (Spanish)
- Education, Physical Activities and Sport in a Historical Perspective (Spanish)
- Catálogo Coletivo das Bibliotecas dos Arquivos Estatais e da Biblioteca do CIDA (Spanish)
- Catálogo general de libros Antiguos (Spanish)