Amadeus is a theophoric given name derived from the Latin words ama – the imperative of the word amare ('to love') – and deus ('god'). As a linguistic compound in the form of a phereoikos, it means "Love God!". The German-language equivalent is 'Gottlieb'; Slavic versions include 'Bogumil' and 'Bohumil'. Other related names are the female form, 'Amadea', the French 'Amédée' (male), the Spanish 'Amadeo', the Italian 'Amedeo', and 'Amadis'. In contrast, the Greek name 'Theophilos' means "friend of God".
Related to Mozart
The best-known bearer of the name is the composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Many of the following are derived directly or indirectly from Mozart's name:
- Amadeus, 1979 stage play by Peter Shaffer
- Amadeus (film), 1984 film based on the play
- Amadeus Institute, think tank based in Morocco
- Rambo Amadeus, pseudonym for the Serbian-Montenegrin rock singer-songwriter Antonije Pušić
- Amadeus CRS, computer reservation system used by airlines and travel agencies
- Amadeus IT Group, IT company which owns the above
- "Rock Me Amadeus", 1986 song by the Austrian singer Falco
- Amadeus Quartet, former English string quartet
- Eleutherodactylus amadeus, species of frog
- Amadeo I of Spain
- Amadeus II, Count of Savoy
- Amadeus III, Count of Savoy
- Amadeus IV, Count of Savoy
- Amadeus V, Count of Savoy
- Amadeus VI, Count of Savoy
- Amadeus VII, Count of Savoy
- Amadeus VIII, Duke of Savoy, Antipope Felix V
- Amadeus IX, Duke of Savoy
- Victor Amadeus I, Duke of Savoy
- Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia
- Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia
- Amadeus Cho, Marvel character
- Amadeus IT Group, transaction processor for the global travel and tourism industry
- All pages beginning with "Amadeus" for people with the first name Amadeus
- All pages beginning with "Amadeo" for people with the first name Amadeo
- All pages beginning with "Amedeo" for people with the first name Amedeo
- Pages with 'Amadeus' or 'Amadeo' or 'Amedeo' in their title
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.