A busy street in Amalapuram Town
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||AP 5|
Amalapuram is a town, municipality and revenue division in East Godavari district in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is 60 km from Greater Rajahmundry city . It is at the head of the Konaseema delta, the triangle formed by the waters of the Godavari River. The delta's black cotton soil is very fertile and crops including coconut and rice are grown in it. Kakinada and Rajahmundry are towns close to Amalapuram. It is third biggest in East godavari After rajahmundry and kakinada cities. It is the Lok Sabha Constituency in which the former Speaker Ganti Mohana Chandra Balayogi was elected. Amalpuram has temples to Venkateswara, Subrahmanyeswara and Chandramouliswara. The town is known for Vedic culture.
Amalapuram was originally named Amrutpuri which later changed to Amlipuri. Some of its temples are dedicated to Amaleswara.
Amalapuram is also called Panchalingapuram as it is the seat of five temples to Shiva at Amaleswara, Sidheswara, Ramalingeswara, Chandramouleeswara and Chennamalleeswara. Amalapuram is the third most developed town in East Godavari district after Rajahmundry and Kakinada. It is hub of Konaseema for education and financial institutes. There are approximately 65 schools and colleges, six engineering colleges and one medical college in the area.
Amalapuram is located at  It has an average elevation of 2 meters (9 feet)..
As of 2011[update] India census, Amalapuram has a population of 141,194, with 70,850 males and 70,344 females. Amalapuram has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; 80.68% of males and 73.54% of females are literate. 77,036 people reside in rural parts of Amalapuram while 64,158 people reside in the Amalapuram urban area.
State owned APSRTC connects Amalapuram to major destinations like Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Rajamundry, Kakinada and Tirupati. Amalapuram bus depot is a major hub in Konaseema region.
Amlapuram is major educational center in east godavari. Amalapuram has many schools and colleges entire the town.
- Sir Arthur Cotton
- Sri Bayya Suryanarayana Murthy - Former MP, Journalist, Essayist, Short Story Writer.
- Sri GMC Balayogi (former Lok Sabha Speaker)
- Sri Kala Venkata Rao (former Minister)
- Devisri Prasad - Tollywood music composer and singer
- Harsha Kumar - Member of Parliament
- siva sevala - captain for andhra pradesh ranji cricket team, awarded best batsman from bcci in the year 2011-12.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Falling Rain Genomics.Amalapuram
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amalapuram.|