|Amanda Thornton Congdon|
Amanda Congdon promo shot
August 4, 1981 |
New York City
|Known for||Video blogging|
Amanda Congdon (born August 4, 1981 in New York City) is a video blogger. She began her on-screen career as the first anchor of the online daily news show, Rocketboom, which she hosted and produced until 23 June 2006. She remains the co-owner (49%) of Rocketboom, but a dispute between her and the 51% shareholder Andrew Baron has resulted in her no longer hosting or producing the show.
Involvement with Rocketboom
Congdon began as Rocketboom's anchor with the show's 26 October 2004 debut.
The show went from an initial 700 viewers in 2004 to 70,000 viewers in the first ten months. The show's success was noted by CBS Evening News, Wired, the Associated Press. BusinessWeek labeled it "the most popular site of its kind on the Net". More viewers visited Rocketboom after a 11 June 2006 interview with Congdon on CNN. Rocketboom's audience continued to increase, going from 100,000 vlog viewers at the end of 2005 to 300,000 by the spring of 2006.
Congdon sometimes went on the road. One episode showed her dancing in various locations throughout St. Petersburg, Russia.
Departure from Rocketboom
On 5 July 2006, Congdon released a video statement on her blog, Amanda UnBoomed, announcing her departure from the show. Andrew Baron, majority stakeholder of Rocketboom, stated she was leaving the show to "pursue opportunities ... in Hollywood" and Joanne Colan stepped in as Congdon's replacement. Congdon states that she was fired.
Amanda Across America
Congdon's first endeavor after Rocketboom was AmandaAcrossAmerica.com, a blog based on Congdon's travels through America in a hybrid vehicle. The show was produced by "mobile producers" Congdon, Mario Librandi, Rob Librandi, and Emily Golub. Timothy Shey served as stationary producer, and Rudy Jahchan developed the web site. The show was hosted by blip.tv. The journey took a circuitous route with stops in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Tennessee, D.C., Missouri, Wisconsin, Arizona and California. The show focused on interviews with activists and bloggers.
- Rocketboom : thursday august 04, 2005 : special feature
- Congdon, Amanda. "Amanda Congdon Bio". Retrieved 2006-08-25.[dead link]
- "Rocketboom's Powerful Lift-Off". Business Week.
- "Transcript of Howard Kurtz interview with Amanda Congdon". CNN. 2006-06-11.
- Amanda Unboomed - "Announces retirement from RocketBoom"
- Shields, Mike (2006-07-05). "Congdon Flames Out at Rocketboom". MediaWeek.
- Congdon, Amanda (2006-07-05). "For the Record". Amanda UnBoomed.
- "10 Questions for Amanda Congdon". Time.com. 2006-07-12.
- "About". Archived from the original on 9 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-07.
- "Thanks". Archived from the original on 6 November 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-07.