Amanda Hesser (born 1971) is an American food writer, editor, cookbook author and entrepreneur. Most notably, she was the food editor of The New York Times Magazine, the editor of T Living, a quarterly publication of The New York Times, author of The Essential New York Times Cookbook which was a New York Times bestseller, and co-founder and CEO of Food52.
After finishing her first book, in 1997, Hesser was hired as a food reporter for The New York Times where she wrote more than 750 stories. While at the Times Hesser wrote about the influence of Costco on the wine industry, uncovered the politics behind the New York City Greenmarket and was among the first to write about Ferran Adria of El Bulli in a major American publication.
Hesser was involved in two cases of conflict of interest while working at the Times. In 2004, she awarded the restaurant Spice Market a three-star rating without disclosing that the year before, the restaurant’s owner, Jean-Georges Vongericthen, had provided a complimentary jacket blurb for her book Cooking for Mr. Latte. In 2007, Hesser published a favorable review of Vegetable Harvest by Patricia Wells, without noting that in 1999, Wells had provided a jacket blurb for Hesser’s book The Cook and the Gardener. In both cases, the Times subsequently pointed out the conflicts of interest with editors’ notes.
As co-founder and CEO of Food52 she has raised two rounds of investment from parties including Lerer Ventures and Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments. Food52 has won numerous notable awards including the James Beard Award for Publication of the Year (2012) and the IACP Award for Best Website (2013).
- The Cook and the Gardener (W. W. Norton & Company, 1999)
- Cooking for Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship, with Recipes (W. W. Norton & Company, 2004) [Collected Food Diary columns she wrote from 2000-2002]
- Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table, a Collection of Essays from the New York Times (W. W. Norton & Company, 2009) [Edited 26 previously published essays]
- The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century (W. W. Norton & Company, 2010)
- The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks (William Morrow Cookbooks, 2011)
- The Food52 Cookbook, Volume 2: Seasonal Recipes from Our Kitchens to Yours (William Morrow Cookbooks, 2012)
- "Food 52 Holiday Recipes & Party Planning Guide: A cookbook, instruction manual, and entertaining battle plan" (Open Air Publishing, 2011)
- Women Who Eat (2003)
- Best Food Writing (2002, 2004)
- The Art of Eating (2004)
- Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant (2007)
- Hesser, Amanda (September 15, 1999). "In Spain, A Chef To Rival Dali". New York Times. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Amanda Hesser Blows Her Own Internet Bubble, New York Magazine, 3 April 2008
- Amanda Hesser Sets Us Straight About Her Plans for the Future, New York Magazine, 7 April 2008
- James Beard Foundation 2012 Award Winners
- 40 Big Food Thinkers 40 and Under, Food & Wine, November 2010
- Julie & Julia
- "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Amanda Hesser, Tad Friend". Weddings - NYTimes.com. The New York Times. September 15, 2002. Retrieved 31 March 2012. "Amanda Hesser, a reporter for The New York Times, and Tad Friend, a staff writer for The New Yorker, were married yesterday in Wainscott, N.Y., at the summer house of the bridegroom's family."