||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|Born||31 October 1970|
|Alma mater||University of Manitoba|
|Spouse(s)||Vincent Borg (separated)|
|Parents||Otto Lang and Adrian Macdonald|
Amanda Lang (born 31 October 1970) is a Canadian journalist and senior business correspondent for CBC News. She anchors the daily The Exchange with Amanda Lang on CBC News Network. She is the former anchor for Business News Network where she hosted SqueezePlay and The Commodities Report.
Life and career
Lang was later the New York correspondent for the National Post (after it acquired the Financial Post). She got her start in television as an anchor and reporter with CNN in New York where she reported from the New York stock exchange for American Morning, and anchored programs on CNN's then-financial network, CNNfn.
Moving back to Canada, she became an anchor for Business News Network and was host of both SqueezePlay and The Commodities Report.
Lang left SqueezePlay and BNN in July 2009. Starting on 26 October 2009, Lang and Kevin O'Leary began anchoring The Lang & O'Leary Exchange, a new business program on CBC News Network airing weekdays (as of 1 March 2010) at 7 pm Eastern Time, on which she has interviewed people such as Brian Mulroney, former prime minister of Canada.
Her book, The Power of Why, came out in 2012.
Conflict of interest controversy
An investigative report by Sean Craig of CANADALAND presented evidence that in 2014 Lang had provided favorable CBC coverage to two companies, Manulife and Sun Life, without disclosing to viewers that each company had recently paid her for speaking engagements. Other reportage has raised larger issues than one covertly biased act of reportage: The media is performing a sympathetic apologist role for the elite and corporate interests.
Lang is married to Vincent Borg, who since 1991 performed various roles at Peter Munk's gold mining company Barrick Gold including executive VP of corporate communications until August 2010. They separated in 2012.
- Burnside, Chelsey (Summer 2012). "The Amanda Lang Exchange". Ryerson Review of Journalism. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- The Power of Why, Chapter 3, page 5 (e-book) http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Power-Why-Amanda-Lang/
- "Lang leaps to CBC". Playback. 28 July 2009. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Canadian Who's Who 2008".
- "Personalities". Business News Network. Retrieved 23 October 2008.
- "Amanda Lang". CBC News. Retrieved 30 September 2009.
- CBC show aired on 25 Dec 2012 segment Free Trade turns 25
- The Power of Why, Harper Collins Canada, 2012 http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Power-Why-Amanda-Lang/
- "Amanda Lang took money from Manulife & Sun Life, gave them favourable CBC coverage". 22 December 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Barrick Announces Changes to Senior Management". Barrick Gold press release. 10 June 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Amanda Lang: Making it her business". Canadian Business. 15 January 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Shinan: The Lang of it". National Post. 11 December 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Craig, Sean (12 January 2015). "UPDATE: Amanda Lang in “serious relationship” with RBC board member while reporting on RBC". Canadaland. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Board of Directors". RBC.com. Retrieved 17 January 2015.