October 23, 1998 (age 16)|
Los Angeles, California U.S.
Stenberg was born in Los Angeles, California, on October 23, 1998. Her name means "power or strength" in Zulu. Her mother, Karen Brailsford, is African-American, and her father, Tom Stenberg, is Danish (he was born in Copenhagen). Her paternal grandmother was from Greenland and had Inuit ancestry. At the age of four, Stenberg started doing catalog modeling shoots for Disney. She has appeared in commercials for McDonald's, Kmart, and more.
In 2011, she appeared in her first feature film Colombiana, as a younger version of Zoe Saldana's character. Stenberg's career breakthrough came when she was cast as Rue in the 2012 film The Hunger Games, based on Suzanne Collins's young adult book of the same name. The Hunger Games was directed by Gary Ross and also stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Alexander Ludwig, Isabelle Fuhrman and Liam Hemsworth. Stenberg voiced Bia, one of Blu and Jewel's daughters, in Rio 2 (2014).
Stenberg is a lover of books and fashion, stating in an interview that she would some day love to play a fashionable lead role in a movie. Stenberg also loves to knit in her spare time.
Stenberg is involved with Share Our Strength, also known as No Kid Hungry, an organization working to end childhood hunger in the United States. Stenberg expressed her feelings about hunger saying: "Food is such a basic human need. And I just know that we can provide for every kid in this country."
|2012||A Taste of Romance||Taylor|
|2012||The Hunger Games||Rue||Won – Teen Choice Award for Choice Chemistry (shared with Jennifer Lawrence)
Nominated – Black Reel Award for Best Breakthrough Performance
Nominated – NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
|2012||The World Is Watching: Making the Hunger Games||Herself||Documentary|
|2013-14||Sleepy Hollow||Macey Irving||Recurring role; 4 episodes|
|2013||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Rue||Stock footage|
|2015||Mr. Robinson||Haley||Regular role|
- "Colombiana in Mexico City". Amandla Stenberg Official. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Amandla Stenberg: "So excited to be playing Rue in The Hunger Games"". Hunger Games Network. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- Martin, Michel (April 3, 2012). "Should Kids See 'The Hunger Games'". NPR. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Svensk Hungerspelen Fansida". Hungergamesweden.blogg.se. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Amandla's resume". Amandlastenberg.com. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Jevon Phillips (September 23, 2011). "Hunger Games star on Colombiana and life on the set". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "'The Hunger Games' Pulls In Rue and Thresh". The Film Stage. April 18, 2011. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- 20th Century Fox Film (February 22, 2013). "Twentieth Century Fox Animation Announces RIO 2 Casting". Business Wire. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- Becca Frucht (March 20, 2012). ""Hunger Games" Amandla Stenberg Kicks Off Our Top 12 Lessons from Panem!". MTV. Retrieved March 25, 2012.