Amara Karan during Olympic Torch Relay in London 2008
Wimbledon, London, England, UK
Amara Karan (born 1984) is an English actress who made her film début as the love interest in Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited. The film premièred at the 2007 Venice Film Festival. Her character was described in The Hollywood Reporter as "the train's attractive Indian stewardess" while Time called her 'lovely' and Variety called her character the "comely train stewardess Rita", stating that "newcomer Karan makes a strong impression as the sexy 'sweet lime' girl". Karan's second film role was as schoolgirl Peaches in the 2007 film St Trinian's.
She made her stage début in 2008 as Jessica in an RSC production of The Merchant of Venice and as Bianca in an RSC production of The Taming of the Shrew. With the latter, she made her West End debut at the Novello Theatre.
Karan was born in Wimbledon, London in 1984 to Sri Lankan Tamil parents who had emigrated to Britain from Zambia two years before she was born. She was born and brought up in Wimbledon and attended Wimbledon High School.
Karan went on to study at St Catherine's College, Oxford University and while there began acting in amateur plays including Sunday Morning at the Centre of the World at the Burton Taylor Theatre for which she received rave reviews and was also singled out for her performance in When We Are Married at the Old Fire Station theatre. During her time at Oxford, Karan wrote, directed, produced, and acted in a short film, By Myself, which came in second place in the 2002 Shoestring Shorts Competition.
She began her career as an investment banker (at Hawkpoint and CIBC World Markets) specialising in mergers and acquisitions, before studying for an MA degree in acting at The Arts Educational Schools London.
- 2007 - The Darjeeling Limited as Rita
- 2007 - St Trinian's as Peaches
- 2011 - The Task as Toni
- 2012 - All in Good Time as Vina
- 2012 - A Fantastic Fear of Everything as Sangeet
- 2013 - Jadoo 
- The Bill – "Match Day Violence" (2007) as Abha Chaudhari
- Poirot – "Cat Among the Pigeons" (2008) as Princess Shaista
- Doctor Who – "The God Complex"– (2011) as Rita
- Ambassadors as Isabel
- Kidnap and Ransom - (2011) as Carrie Heath, Dominic's assistant
- Goodness Gracious Me - (2014)
- The Making of a Marchioness (2007) as Lady Agatha
- The Taming of the Shrew (2008) as Bianca
- The Merchant of Venice (2008) as Jessica
- The Taming of the Shrew (2009) as Bianca
- Much Ado About Nothing (2012) as Hero
- "The Hollywood Reporter".[dead link]
- "Owen Wilson: Art Imitates Life". Time. September 3, 2007. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- Simon, Alissa (September 3, 2007). "The Darjeeling Limited Movie Review". Variety.
- St. Trinian's (2007)
- SW - Back to school
- Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Natalie Portaman Finish Filming for Wes Anderson’s New Movie ‘Darjeeling Limited’ | Gauravonomics Diary
- Sunday Morning at the Centre of the World
- Drama - Drama - The Oxford Student - Official Student Newspaper
- oxford : multimedia & digital video
- "Banker's foray into film pays dividends". Daily Mail (London). October 26, 2007.
- http://www.artsed.co.uk/students.asp Arts Ed Students
- "Karan cast in ‘Jadoo’", Variety, 10 February 2012.
- Amara Karan at the Internet Movie Database
- Amara Karan presentation
- Amara Karan article
- Times article, October 13, 2007
- Guardian Article
- Economist Article