||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (August 2010)|
|Edmonton City Councillor Ward 12|
2010 – present
|Preceded by||New ward|
|Edmonton City Councillor Ward 6|
|Preceded by||Terry Cavanagh|
|Succeeded by||Ward abolished|
March 8, 1964 |
Banbhaura, Punjab, India
|Children||Navseerat Kaur, Seerat Sohi|
Sohi was born in India, and immigrated to Edmonton in 1981. He has lived in southeast Edmonton since then, and is married with one daughter. Prior to his election to City Council, Sohi worked for Edmonton Transit.
Sohi has been active in the Mill Woods community for years, volunteering in many roles. His work has included serving on the Southwood Community League Executive and the TD Baker Parents Advisory Council. Sohi was also a founding member of the Mill Woods Crime Council, a volunteer organization that works with police and community members to reduce crime and promote the awareness of community resources. The Mill Woods Crime Council has been recognized as a highly successful initiative, and the model has been emulated across Edmonton.
Amarjeet Sohi represents City Council on the Edmonton Police Commission, and is Council's leading voice on community safety and multiculturalism. He represented Council on the Mayor's Task Force on Community Safety, which developed a comprehensive 10-Year Plan to address root causes of crime in Edmonton. He is also Council's representative on Racism Free Edmonton, a multi-sector body dedicated to combatting racism and discrimination in Edmonton. Racism Free Edmonton is part of a national coalition, the Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination.
Some of the highlights of Sohi's work on Council include:
- Successfully pushing to expedite planning for an extension of the LRT rapid transit system to southeast Edmonton;
- Launching the Good Neighbour Awards to celebrate community-level crime prevention work across the city;
- Working with other players to develop a comprehensive Action Plan to combat racism and discrimination in Edmonton;
- Working with the Mayor's Task Force on Community Safety to develop a long-term strategy for crime prevention; - Hosting a Week of Awareness to Prevent Sexual Exploitation;
- Advocating for a new Sustainable and Ethical Procurement Policy for the City of Edmonton;
- Successfully pushing for improved transit service to southeast Edmonton, particularly to newer communities.
Sohi has been a passionate champion for diversity, community safety, public transit, and environmental sustainability.
- "Amarjeet Sohi - Ward 6". City of Edmonton. Retrieved 2009-04-30.