AmazonFresh is a subsidiary of the Amazon.com American e-commerce company in Seattle, Washington. It revived the business model of ordering groceries online for home delivery first popularized by such companies as HomeGrocer.com and Webvan in the late '90s.
History and business model
AmazonFresh initially offered home grocery delivery to residents of the Seattle suburb of Mercer Island in an invitation-only beta-test in August 2007. It has since expanded to a number of Seattle-area ZIP codes, including the suburbs of Kirkland and Bellevue.
On June 10, 2013, Amazon Fresh expanded to portions of the Los Angeles area, offering "free same-day and early morning delivery on orders over $35."  Amazon Fresh customers must subscribe to Amazon Prime Fresh, which includes all the benefits of Amazon Prime. Amazon offers a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime Fresh. After the free trial, customers are charged $299 for the next year and annually after that, unless and until they cancel the subscription. The service became available in San Francisco on December 12, 2013.
AmazonFresh offers grocery items for sale, as well as a subset of items from the main Amazon.com storefront. Items ordered through AmazonFresh are available for home delivery on the same day or the next day, depending on the time of the order, and the availability of trucks. Examples of grocery items for sale are wine, pumpkin pie, and pre-cooked turkeys.
- Gopher Grocery
- Grocery Gateway
- Kroger (largest grocery store chain in the United States)
- Pink Dot
- Publix Direct
- ShopRite (United States)
- Winder Farms
- Harris, Craig; Cook, John (2007-08-01). "Amazon starts grocery delivery service". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "How do I shop AmazonFresh?". Archived from the original on 20 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- AmazonFresh Grocery Delivery Service Now Available In Los Angeles Retrieved June 10, 1013
- Introducing Amazon Fresh Retrieved December 11, 2013
- Amazon.com launches AmazonFresh grocery service in San Francisco Retrieved December 13, 2013
- "Home AmazonFresh". Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-26.