AmazonFresh is a subsidiary of the Amazon.com American e-commerce company in Seattle, Washington. It revived the business model of ordering groceries online for home delivery first popularized by such companies as HomeGrocer.com and Webvan in the late 1990s.
History and business model
AmazonFresh initially offered home grocery delivery to residents of the Seattle suburb of Mercer Island in an invitation-only beta test in August 2007. It has since expanded to a number of Seattle-area ZIP codes, including the suburbs of Kirkland and Bellevue.
On June 10, 2013, AmazonFresh expanded to portions of the Los Angeles area, offering "free same-day and early morning delivery on orders over $35."  The service became available in San Francisco on December 12, 2013. In July 2014, it expanded into the San Diego area. AmazonFresh also became available in certain areas of New York City on October 17, 2014 and in select parts of Center City Philadelphia, PA on November 18, 2014. Customers in these areas can check availability of the service at their specific address.
AmazonFresh offers grocery items for sale, as well as a subset of items from the main Amazon.com storefront. Items ordered through AmazonFresh are available for home delivery on the same day or the next day, depending on the time of the order and the availability of trucks. Examples of grocery items for sale are wine, pumpkin pie, and precooked turkeys.
- Harris, Craig; Cook, John (2007-08-01). "Amazon starts grocery delivery service". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "How do I shop AmazonFresh?". Archived from the original on 20 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- AmazonFresh Grocery Delivery Service Now Available In Los Angeles Retrieved June 10, 2013
- Amazon.com launches AmazonFresh grocery service in San Francisco Retrieved December 13, 2013
- Katherine P. Harvey. "AmazonFresh rolls into San Diego". U-T San Diego.
- "Home AmazonFresh". Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amazon Fresh.|