Planch. & Lind.
Planch. & Linden
Complete list of species:
Eucharis is a genus of 15-20 species of monocotyledonous flowering plants in the family Amaryllidaceae, subfamily Amaryllidoideae, native to Central America and South America, from Guatemala south to Bolivia. Some species have become naturalized in Mexico, the West Indies, Fiji, the Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Ascension Island, and the Society Islands. The English name Amazon lily is sometimes used for all species in the genus (as well as other genera), but is particularly used for Eucharis amazonica and Eucharis × grandiflora, which are often confused.
Eucharis is a perennial with a bulb 2–6 cm (1–2 in) in diameter. The broad-stalked leaves are 20–55 cm (8–22 in) long and 10–20 cm (4–8 in) broad. The large showy white flowers are borne in an umbel of three to ten on an erect scape 40–80 cm (16–31 in) long. The flowers resemble narcissus flowers in having a prominent central cup or corona, which is sometimes tinged with green.
Cultivation and uses
It is propagated by removing the offsets, which may be done in spring, potting them singly in 15 cm pots. It requires good loamy soil, with enough sand to keep the compost open, and should have a good supply of water. A temperature of 18° to 20°C during the night, and rising to 25°C in the day. During summer growth is to be encouraged by repotting, but the plants should afterwards be slightly rested by removal to a night temperature of about 15°C, water being withheld for a time, though they must not be left dry for too long, the plant being an evergreen. By the turn of the year they may again have more heat and more water, and this will probably induce them to flower.
With a stock of the smaller plants to start them in succession, it is possible to have plants in flower all the year round.
- The Plant List
- Stevens, P.F., Angiosperm Phylogeny Website: Asparagales: Amaryllidoideae
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Meerow, Alan W. 1989. Systematics of the Amazon Lilies, Eucharis and Caliphruria (Amaryllidaceae). Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden, Vol. 76, No. 1 (1989), pp. 136-220
- "Caliphruria tenera (Amazon lily)". Plants & Fungi at Kew. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "Eucharis amazonica|Amazon lily". RHS Gardening. Royal Horticultural Society. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Planchon, Jules Émile. 1853. Catalogue des Plantes Exotiques 8: 3.
- "Urceocharis", World Checklist of Selected Plant Families, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, retrieved 2012-06-24