|— city —|
|• Chairman||Mrs. Selvi (2012- Till Date)|
|Elevation||76 m (249 ft)|
|• Total||392,226 (taluk)
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 76 V xxxx|
Ambasamudram is a taluk in Tirunelveli district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The entire taluk had a population of 392,226 as of 2001, with 42.5% classified as rural. The taluk is named for the principal town with the same name. The town of Ambasamudram had a population 32,739 as of 2001.
This picturesque town is situated in the foothills of western ghats on the northern bank of Tamirabarani (Tamiram = copper, it conatins traces of copper)river with a twin town Kallidaikurichi/Kallidai is situated on the southern bank.
As of 2001[update] India census, the town of Ambasamudram had a population of 32,681. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Ambasamudram has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 52% of the males and 48% of females literate. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Place of Interest 
Located between elevations ranging from 1000 to 1500 Metres, the Manjolai area is set deep within the Western Ghats within the Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve in the Tirunelveli District. Located on top of the Manimuthar Dam & the Manimuthar Water Falls, the Manjolai area comprises Tea Plantations, Small settlements around the tea plantations; Upper Kodaiyar Dam and a windy view point called Kuthiravetti
The Tea Plantations and the whole of Manjolai Estates are tea operated by The Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation Ltd on Forest Lands leased by the Government of Tamil Nadu. There are 3 Tea Estates within the Manjolai area - Manjolai Estate, Manimutharu Estate & Oothu Estate. The Estates are located on elevations ranging between 2300 Feet to 4200 Feet. The estates, road & the settlements in the Manjolai area are managed by The Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation Ltd.
- Manimuttar Dam
- Papanasam Lower Dam & Hydel power plant 1951
- Karaiyar Dam
- Singampatti Zamin palace
- Servalar Dam & Hydel Project 1987
- Kalakkad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve
- Agasthiyar Falls fed by lower dam, with its year round bathable water temperature.
- BaaNa Theertham Falls
- Tamirabarani river with year round, bathable and swimable water temperature.
Other Attractions 
- Sri Vedhanarayanar Rajagopalaswami Kulasekhara Azhwar Temple.
- Papanasaswamy Temple.
- Agashtiyar Temple
- Durgai Amman Temple
Hospitals and Nursing homes 
- Seethalakshmi Nursing Home, 72M College Road, Ambasamudram, Ph - 04634 - 250907
- Thirthapathi Government Hospital, East Thirumanjana Road, Ambasamudram, Ph - 04634 – 250380
- Subam Clinic, Ammaiappar Sannathi street, Ambasamudram. Ph - 04634 – 252905
- Shantha Nursing Home, South Car street, Ambasamudram. Ph - 04634 - 525439
- Sakthi Nurshing Home, Main Road, Ambasamudram. Ph - 04634 – 253553
- Lakshmi Nursing Home, Melapalayam East Car street, Ambasamudram. Ph - 04634 - 250797
- Azeez Hospital, South Car Street, Ambasamudram. Ph - 04634 – 250373
Like many towns in southern India Ambasamudram also boasts of many temples. Geographic location of this town has virtually protected these temples from all invaders, so they have been preserved in their original form. Though many of these temples are in sad state of disrepair, they are still every bit worth studying for their artistic, religious and historical value.
- One of the few temples for Saint Agasthiyar or Agastya
- Mannar Kovil Temple. This temple is one of the few ones with an ashtanga vimana. On the ground floor it has a sanctum for Vishnu, standing with his two Consorts. A narrow flight of stairs leads to the first floor where He is seated with his two Consorts.
- Brahmadesam kailAya nAthar - a temple built during the reigns of Raja Raja Chola.
- Papanasam Temple, it's a temple situated near agasthiyar falls, it is believed that after taking bath in this river, going to this temple is alleged to give you relief from all your sins. The place is called Papanasam because of this.
- Next to Papanasam, there is a village town by name Vickramasingapuram.
- There are several temples for Mutharamman, Suadali Madan and Ayyanar temples nearby and Kodai Vizha in these tempels very famous and inspiring.
- Navaneethakrishnan Temple at Melasevel, is 700 Years old. The deity is believed to grant boons for the childless couples. There are two more temples in the same village, namely Megalingeshwarar and Venugopalaswamy.
- St.Peter's CSI Church, Ambasamudram
- St.Joseph's RC Church, Ambasamudram
- Good Samaritan Church at Kalchundu Colony, Agasthiarpatti (p.o), Ambai.
Some interesting pointers 
- Ambasamudram is famous for its "Kai Murukku" which is crispy and tasty.
- Singampatti Zamin palace http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/04/29/stories/2005042902390300.htm
- "Rice Research Station" - Est. 1937, currently associated with "Tamil Nadu Agricultural University".
- Kallidaikurichi is famous for its appalam.
- Pathamadai is famous for fine grass mats called "Paai" "Grass mats still hold their own here" in Tamil.
- Ambasamudram with its Tirunelveli flavour Tamil spoken along with its natural beauty and historic attractions have captured the imaginations of Kollywood movie makers in the recent decades. Movies like "Dum Dum Dum!, Ayya were set in Ambasamudram and its surrounding areas.
- Mahalinga Nadar - Packiammal Trophy State-level football tournament is organized here annually at Nadar Sports Club ground, Ambasamudaram.
- Thirthapathi High School is in the northern part of the town. It was started by contributions from Thirthapathi family of Singampatti Zamin. Sadasiva Iyer, Venkateswar Iyer, and E.H.Parameswaran were the Headmasters in the earlier days. Mr.Anantharamakrishnan of Simpson Group was a student of Sadasiva Iyer.
- Unique mineral assembalge of clinohumite—humite—chondrodite—norbergite—Mgcalcite—dolomite—spinel  found in the marbles of the area, associated with the Achenkovil Shear Zone
- Brahmins from this town, around 150 Years back relocated themselves in a small village by name Gadi Bero in Purulia District, West Bengal on the request of the then Raja of Kashipur. They have been given vast Agricultural lands for cultivation and living. Raja got attracted with the vedic scholarship of few Brahmins when they visited Varanasi where they were met by the Raja and requested them to settle down in his Kingdom with as many Brahmins as they can bring with them. Keshava perumal Temple was built for these Brahmins by the Raja. Shri Basudeb Acharia, Member of Parliament hails from this village., Srinivasacharya Managing Director of Sundaram Paribas Home Finance Company, Chennai hails from the same village.
- Empee Sugars& Chemicals Ltd., under the ownership of EMPEE group, is investing Rs. 515.00 Crores in the Ambasamudram Greenfield Sugar Project in Ambasamudram.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "`Agasthiar' does a Courtallam"
- "Sad state of a glorious shrine"
- "Brahmadesam Kalyana Nathar"
- "Drums for Dum Dum Dum! set in ambasamudram"
- "Pan-African Humite-Epoch in E.Gondwana"
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on 31 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-13.