An ambassador-at-large is a diplomat of the highest rank or a minister who is accredited to represent his or her country internationally.
Unlike an ambassador-in-residence who is usually limited to a country or embassy, the ambassador-at-large is entrusted to operate in several usually neighboring countries, a region or sometimes hold a seat in an international organization like the United Nations and the European Union. In some cases an ambassador-at-large may even be specifically assigned a role to advise and assist the state or a government in particular issues. Historically, presidents or prime ministers have designated special diplomatic envoys for specific assignments, primarily overseas but sometimes also within the country as an ambassador-at-large.
According to international protocol, ambassadors and ambassadors-at-large are officially styled and addressed as His/Her Excellency, or Mr./Ms. Ambassador. The title may be abbreviated in official correspondence as H.E.
United States ambassadors-at-large
The US President appointed the first official specifically to bear the title of ambassador-at-large on 12 March 1949, under the authority vested in Article II, Section 2 of the U.S Constitution to deal with specific foreign policy issues which have been frequently, but not always, spelled out in their commissions.
Ambassador-at-Large positions in the diplomatic corps of the US State Department include:
- Ambassador-at-Large for Counterterrorism
- Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women's Issues
- Ambassador-at-Large for HIV and AIDS
- Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom
- Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Issues
- Ambassador-at-Large to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons
- Hassan Abouyoub, Moroccan Ambassador-at-Large
- Bishhma K. Agnihotri, India's Ambassador-at-Large for Non-Resident Indians and Persons of Indian Origin
- Dumitru Ciausu, Romanian Ambassador-at-Large
- Suzan Johnson Cook, United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom
- Ahmet Davutoğlu, Formerly Ambassador-at-Large of Turkey; he is currently Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- Eric Goosby, United States Global AIDS Coordinator (Ambassador-at-Large for HIV and AIDS)
- León María Guerrero III, Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs under Ramon Magsaysay (1953-1954) and Ambassador-at-Large under four Philippine Presidents: Ramon Magsaysay (1954-1957), Carlos P. Garcia (1957-1961), Diosdado Macapagal (1961-1965) and Ferdinand E. Marcos (1965-1980).
- Juris Gulbis, Ambassador-at-Large of the Republic of Abkhazia
- Georg von Habsburg, Ambassador-at-Large of Hungary
- Philip Jessup, United States Ambassador-at-large under President Harry S. Truman.
- Stavros Lambrinidis, Ambassador at Large of Hellenic Republic, Vice President of the European Parliament and Minister for Foreign Affairs of Greece
- Kristiaan De Ley, Liberian Ambassador-at-Large to UNESCO
- Gene Loh, Ambassador-at-Large of the Republic of China (Taiwan) from 1997 to 2001
- Nasir Ali Khan, Ambassador-at-Large to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
- Javed Malik, Pakistani Ambassador-at-Large.
- Lineo Ntoane, Kingdom of Lesotho Ambassador-at-Large.
- Dame Nuala O'Loan, of Ireland. Roving Ambassador for Conflict Resolution and Special Envoy to Timor-Leste
- Oscar de la Renta, Ambassador-at-Large of the Dominican Republic.
- Carlos P. Romulo, President of the United Nations General Assembly (1949-1950), Secretary/Minister of Foreign Affairs and Ambassador-at-Large under three Philippine Presidents: Elpidio Quirino (1950-1952), Diosdado Macapagal (1963-1964) and Ferdinand Marcos (1968-1984).
- Petri Salo, Finland's Roving Ambassador for the South Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia)
- Dr. h.c. Matthias Spies, Ambassador-at-Large of Liberia
- Strobe Talbott, US Ambassador-at-Large and Special Advisor to the Secretary on the New Independent States
- Te Moli Venaos-Goiset, Thi Tam, Ambassador-at-Large of the Republic of Vanuatu to Russia, Abkhazia and Eastern Countries (retired)
- Abdullah Hameedh, Ambassador-at-Large of the Republic of Maldives. Appointed on 8 January 2014
- Major General Sir Leslie R Angell, President of The Diplomatic Council and Ambassador-at-Large as Special Diplomatic Envoy of The International Human Rights Commission. Appointed 20 February 2014
- The Guide of the Modern Diplomatic Protocol
- "Dr.Dumitru Ciausu, Ambassador-at-Large". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "Goosby, Eric". State. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "The Habsburgs' new empire: The princess and the bear". The Economist. 20 February 2010. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "Kristiaan De Ley". Encyclo.wiki. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- Chu, Monique (18 April 2002). "Veteran diplomat tells it like it was". Taipei Times. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "New Roving Ambassador Nuala O’ Loan to Travel to Timor". Irish embassy. 10 March 2008. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- Mower, Sarah (2002). Oscar: The Style, Inspiration and Life of Oscar De La Renta. New York: Assouline. p. 12.
- "Roving Ambassador for South Caucasus -". Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1584/is_n27_v4/ai_13238133. Missing or empty