||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)|
|— Bodybuilder —|
|Nickname||Amber Alert, Coltish|
July 6, 1975 |
Monterey, California, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 8 in (173 cm)|
|Weight||(In Season): 130-135 lbs.
|Pro-debut||IFBB Ms. International, 2004|
|Best win||2006 Ms. Figure Olympia Runner-up, 2006 IFBB Palm Beach Pro Figure Champion, 2006|
Amber Littlejohn (born July 6, 1975) was an IFBB professional figure competitor from the United States. Amber placed in the top-five in almost every show after turning pro with an overall win at the 2003 NPC Figure Nationals.
Amber was born in Monterey, California to an African American and Native American (Cherokee) father and an Irish mother. She was raised by hippy parents who were passionate about education. Littlejohn grew up in a family of six children and was the second youngest and the only female of the group. Growing up in a rural cabin with few amenities, Amber did not watch television until the age nine. She developed a deep interested in literature at a young age, becoming fond of authors such as Toni Morrison, Isabel Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Ernest Hemingway. Her unique upbringing made her passionate, inquisitive, and tough. 
Amber began dancing by the time she could walk. In high school she participated in sports including track, martial arts and basketball. At the age of 23, she began weight training seriously to mend a broken heart and ended up falling in love with fitness. After training for several years and learning gymnastics at age 25, Amber entered her first fitness competition, the NPC San Jose Fitness and Figure Championships in 2001, where she took first place in fitness and figure. Following her first victory, Littlejohn decided to compete solely in figure competitions.
Amber’s highest professional competitive achievements were runner-up at the 2006 Ms. Figure Olympia and winning the 2006 inaugural IFBB Palm Beach Pro Figure Championships. After the 2006 Olympia, Amber planned to retire from competing in figure to begin raising a family, but decided to compete at Figure Olympia in 2007 where she placed in sixth place.
After the 2007 Ms. Figure Olympia, she announced that her husband, Jeff McCarrell, owner and co-founder of Nutrex Research, had been diagnosed with cancer and she retired permanently from competing to focus on family and continue her education.
After retiring, Amber worked as an advocate for abused and neglected children. Inspired by her desire to serve others, she decided to put her tenacity to work to pursue a law degree. She completed her undergraduate studies at The University of Central Florida in 2009. Currently, she is Executive Vice-President of McCarrell Enterprise and attends the University of San Diego School of Law.
- Full Name: Amber Littlejohn
- Birthday: July 6
- Place of Birth: Monterey, California
- Current state of Residence: San Diego, California
- Occupation: Retired Figure competitor, Dietary Supplement Company Executive
- Height: 5'8"
- Weight (In Season): 135 lbs. (Off-Season):142-148 lbs.
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Color: Brown
For Amber, bodybuilding was a journey of personal growth and discovery. Littlejohn's competition training philosophy consisted of simple compound movements with mostly free weights and a few isolation exercises. She rarely used cable exercises or machines. Amber focused on her glutes, hamstrings, and arms to balance her naturally long lean physique. She typically trained 6 days a week in the off-season and trained abs for five to ten minutes after each training session (usually three body parts per day off-season, and two per day during contest contest-prep).
In retirement, Amber has turned back to her dance roots and taken up yoga to balance the rigors of her post-IFBB professional career.
- 2001 NPC San Jose Fitness and Figure Championships, 1st
- 2001 NPC San Francisco Fitness and Figure Championships, 1st
- 2002 NPC Emerald Cup, 1st (Tall)
- 2002 NPC Ironmaiden, 3rd (Tall)
- 2003 NPC Nationals, 1st (Tall) and Overall Winner
- 2004 IFBB California Pro Figure, 3rd
- 2004 IFBB Ms. International, 10th
- 2004 IFBB MS. Olympia, 5th
- 2004 IFBB Pittsburgh Pro Figure, 7th
- 2004 IFBB Show of Strength Pro Championship, 3rd
- 2005 IFBB California Pro Figure, 2nd
- 2005 IFBB Charlotte Pro Championships, 2nd
- 2005 IFBB Ms International, 6th
- 2005 IFBB Ms. Olympia, 4th
- 2006 IFBB Ms. Olympia, 2nd
- 2006 IFBB Palm Beach Pro Figure, 1st
- 2007 IFBB Ms. Olympia, 6th
- News America Now (2007). "Profiles: Amber Littlejohn". Muscle Memory. [Ambe remains the highest-ranking African-American figure competitor in the history of the sport. http://web.archive.org/web/20071203065149/http://www.musclememory.com/show.php? Archived] from the original on 3 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-05.
- Jeff O'Connell (July 2005). "Core curriculum: do your abs pass the test? Take them to middle school with IFBB figure pro Amber Littlejohn's smart and effective workout". Muscle and Fitness. Retrieved 2007-12-06.