F-111 military aircraft
|LGA(s)||City of Ipswich|
|State electorate(s)||Electoral district of Ipswich West|
In 1861, a school commenced at Willowbank on a sheep and cattle station owned by Darby McGrath. McGrath then asked the Queensland Government to take over and donated land for the construction of a new building, resulting in the opening of Warrill Creek State School opened on 22 May 1862 on what is now the south-western part of the RAAF Base Amberley. On 28 January 1888 the school relocated to a new site at Sandridge but it was flooded in 1893 by Warrill Creek. In 1903, it was renamed Amberley State School. The outbreak of World War 2 escalated activity on the air force base and it was decided to close the school at the end of 1941 and it re-opened at the start of 1947. Concerns about aircraft noise at the school lead to the construction of a new school on Rosewood Road further from the base in the late 1970s. On 1 January 2010, the school was again relocated to Deebing Creek Road, Yamanto and renamed Amberley District State School.
Australia's biggest air force base, the RAAF Base Amberley is situated here and the Bureau of Meteorology has a weather observation station in Amberley. To the south of Amberley is the Fassifern Valley. The Jeebropilly coal mine is located just to the west of Amberley.
Amberley had its lowest temperature of -4.9 degrees on the 8 August 1995, as southern Queensland suffered a severe cold snap. The previous coldest temperature was -4.3 degreess reached on 29 July 1994.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Amberley (SSC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Amberley (entry 45022)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "Place Name Details - Amberley". Queensland Government. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- ""A"". Opening and closing dates of Queensland schools. Queensland Government. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "History". Amberley District State School. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- Jack Frost makes his icy presence felt. Page 3. The Courier Mail 9 August 1995
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amberley, Queensland.|
|This Ipswich, Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|