Dungeon, war memorial, and post office
|Intercommunality||Pays de la Vallée de l'Aisne|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Bernard de Re|
|• Land1||17.32 km2 (6.69 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||65/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||02011 / 02290|
|Elevation||38–153 m (125–502 ft)
(avg. 42 m or 138 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Amblenois or Amblenoises
Ambleny is located 8 km west of Soissons and 20 km east of Compiegne. Route National N31 passes through the northern part of the commune between those two cities with an exit to the D943 road which runs south to the town. The D17 road also runs from Fontenoy in the north to the town then continues south to Coeuvres-et-Valsery. The D1631 road also runs from the town south-east to join the D94 road at the southern tip of the commune. There are a number of hamlets in addition to the town - these are: Le Soulier, Montaigu, Hignieres, and Le Rollet. The northern part of the commune is mixed forest and farmland while the southern portion is entirely farmland.
The Ru de Retz waterway forms part of the south-western boundary of the commune before flowing north through the town and continuing to the Aisne river just north of the commune as it flows west to join the Oise at Compiegne. Le Quenneton stream joins the Ru de Retz south of the town at the commune boundary from the west.
The former hamlets of Fosse-en-Haut and Fosse-en-Bas served as the starting point for several French units (including the 418th Infantry Regimanet) during the Second Battle of the Marne on 18 July 1918.
Mayors of Ambleny
|2008||2014||Bernard de Re||PS|
(Not all data is known)
In 2010, the commune had 1,134 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1] [Note 2]
Distribution of age groups
Percentage distribution of age groups in Ambleny and Aisne Department in 2007
|0 to 14 Years||21.5||19.3||20.7||18.6|
|15 to 29 Years||18.4||17.3||18.7||17.2|
|30 to 44 Years||22.2||23.5||20.4||19.7|
|45 to 59 Years||23.1||21.4||21.8||20.6|
|60 to 74 Years||11.3||11.2||12.2||13.3|
|75 to 89 Years||3.5||6.5||6.0||9.6|
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Commune in 2007, INSEE (French).
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Department in 2007, INSEE (French).
Sites and monuments
- The Dungeon of Ambleny, a fortified building from 1140 and the remains of a small fortress were classed as a historical monument on 24 February 1929.
- The Church of Saint Martin of Ambleny from the 12th and 16th centuries has been classified as a historical monument since 27 July 1907.
- Public Laundry in the hamlet of Maubrun
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- In the census table and the graph, by convention in Wikipedia, and to allow a fair comparison between five yearly censuses, the principle has been retained for subsequent legal populations since 1999 displayed in the census table and the graph that shows populations for the years 2006, 2011, 2016, etc.. , as well as the latest legal population published by INSEE
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ambleny.|