Downtown Amboy, Illinois
|Area||6.29 sq mi (16 km2)|
|- land||6.29 sq mi (16 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||2,035.5 / sq mi (786 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code||815, 779|
|Wikimedia Commons: Amboy, Illinois|
Amboy is a city in Lee County, Illinois, along the Green River. The population was 2,561 at the 2000 census. The chain of Carson Pirie Scott & Co. began in Amboy when Samuel Carson opened his first dry goods store there in 1854. The Christian denomination Community of Christ, formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, had a general conference in Amboy on April 6, 1860, at which time Joseph Smith III reorganized the church founded by his father Joseph Smith, Jr.
Amboy is located at (41.714411, -89.332671).
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 6.29 square miles (16.3 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,561 people, 963 households, and 651 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,035.5 people per square mile (784.8/km²). There were 1,048 housing units at an average density of 832.9 per square mile (321.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.97% White, 0.78% African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.23% from other races, and 0.98% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.15% of the population.
There were 963 households out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.9% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.3% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.6% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45 to 64, and 17.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 96.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,250, and the median income for a family was $42,027. Males had a median income of $35,250 versus $26,105 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,183. About 4.4% of families and 8.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.4% of those under age 18 and 9.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Augustus Newnham Dickens, brother of Charles Dickens
- Frank Shaughnessy, Notre Dame football player, pro baseball player and executive
- Amboy Illinois Central Depot
- http://amboy.net/ School district #272
- http://www.cityofamboy.org/ (Official Amboy Website)
- http://www.countyoflee.org/county_clerk/muni.html website of Lee County, Illinois
- Joseph Smith III Comes to the Amboy Conference History of the Church 3:242–273
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Places: Illinois". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.