America's Credit Union Museum
Building at 418-420 Notre Dame Ave.
Location in New Hampshire
|Location||418-420 Notre Dame Ave., Manchester, New Hampshire|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||96001467|
|Added to NRHP||December 20, 1996|
America's Credit Union Museum is located in Manchester, New Hampshire, on the site of the first credit union founded in the United States. The museum, at 418-420 Notre Dame Avenue, is housed at the original location for St. Mary’s Cooperative Credit Association, renamed in 1925 to La Caisse Populaire Ste.-Marie, or “Bank of the People”, St. Mary’s. In 1996, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the "Building at 418-420 Notre Dame Ave. "
What is now the museum was formerly a three-story, three-family dwelling belonging to Joseph Boivin, the manager of the St. Mary's Cooperative Credit Association. Boivin started the credit union with the help of Monsignor Pierre Hevey and Alphonse Desjardins. The building was donated to the museum by Mr. & Mrs. Armand Lemire. To create the museum, the first two floors were converted into exhibit space about credit union history in the United States. The first floor pays tribute to the founding era of the credit union from 1908-1933. The second floor has historical artifacts beginning from 1934, featuring the Estes Park conference that created CUNA, and the 1934 Federal Credit Union Act which enabled credit unions to be established in all states in the nation. The third floor contains a 65-person capacity meeting space with LCD projectors.
Currently the museum is open three days a week, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. There is no charge for admission.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Fiserv Makes Financial Donation to America's Credit Union Museum. Business Wire. 13 Sept. 2005.
- "Directions to America's Credit Union Museum". America's Credit Union Museum. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
- NCUF Innovation Grant Will Expand America’s Credit Union Museum Program.
- America's Credit Union Museum web site
- A video clip from a Tour of the museum, part one
- A video clip from a Tour of the museum, part two
- A video clip from a Tour of the museum, part three