|Born||America Athene Olivo
January 5, 1978
Van Nuys, California, U.S.
|Nationality||American, Canadian, Spanish, Italian|
|Spouse(s)||Christian Campbell (2009–present)|
America Athene Olivo (a.k.a. America Campbell; born January 5, 1978) is an actress, singer and model best known as a member of the band Soluna, for her roles in the films Bitch Slap (2009), Friday the 13th (2009) and Maniac (2012) as well as starring in the Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.
Born in Los Angeles, she has multiple citizenships: American, Canadian and Italian, but is ethnically a mix of Chilean, Italian, Irish, Spanish/Basque and Belgian. Olivo is the daughter of Danica d'Hondt, Miss Canada in 1959, and winemaker, Nello Olivo. She is married to actor Christian Campbell.
Music and modeling
Shortly after graduating with her bachelor degree from The Juilliard School in New York City, Olivo returned to her native Los Angeles where she formed the Latin Pop/R&B band Soluna with Aurora Rodriguez, T Lopez and Jessica Castellanos.
Based on their stage and recording successes, UPN made a deal with Soluna to develop a sitcom based on their lives as a band. In April 2004, they filmed the Soluna pilot which aired on UPN. UPN declined to pick up the series after the pilot.
Soluna disbanded in late 2004, and Olivo concentrated on her career as an actress and solo musician.
In 2008, Olivo appeared in the dance single titled "Deja Vu" with an album release under Dauman Music which became a top 40 billboard dance chart hit with remixes by Dj Escape known for several remixed hits for Beyonce. That same year, she appeared nude painted in head to toe silver on the cover of Mötley Crüe's Saints of Los Angeles album. Olivo is also on the cover of two well-known romance novels.
Stage and screen
The Soluna pilot opened many doors for Olivo, allowing her the opportunity to return to her roots in the theater when she performed the lead female role in a new musical Hotel C'est L'Amour, at The Blank Theatre in Los Angeles. In 2007, Olivo was nominated for an LA Weekly Theater Award for originating the role of "Marie" in this production.
Olivo recently starred in the new Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark as a swing and understudy for the lead role of "Arachne". Previews began on November 28, 2010. When Natalie Mendoza, who starred as Arachne, suffered a concussion at that first preview, Olivo played the role for several weeks in December 2010. The physically demanding role involves aerial sequences, including being spun upside-down. When Mendoza unexpectedly left the show permanently later that month, the role of Arachne went to T.V. Carpio instead of Olivo, who remained as understudy. When Carpio was injured in March 2011 and withdrew from the show for two weeks, Olivo performed the role again. Olivo left the show on April 17, 2011, when the show closed for revisions. She did not return when performances resumed May 12.
Aside from performing on stage, she quickly became busy outside of her musical career with Soluna, appearing as a guest star in numerous television series such as House, General Hospital, The Brother's Garcia, How I Met Your Mother, Jake In Progress, Cuts Law & Order: Criminal Intent, NCIS: Los Angeles, "Warehouse 13" currently recurring on Degrassi: The Next Generation Olivo continues to perform as a singer, recording original music and performing covers for films.
In 2007, Olivo completed features titled The Last Resort and Love Shack. In 2008, she was featured in the DVD release The Thirst: Blood War starring opposite Tony Todd and Jason Connery and the theatrical release Circle. Olivo's 2009 theatrical releases in leading roles are action/comedy Bitch Slap and Michael Bay’s new reboot of Friday the 13th. In February 2009, she wrapped the feature film Neighbor, where she met husband Christian Campbell. More recently she filmed the remake of Maniac starring Elijah Wood, No One Lives starring Luke Evans and Conception starring David Arquette. Recently Olivo joined the cast of Chicago PD, a spin off of Chicago Fire.
- "Defiance" (2014)
- Chicago PD (2014) as Laura Dawson (4 episodes)
- Degrassi: The Next Generation (2013-2014) as Mrs. Rivas (7 episodes)
- Warehouse 13 (2013) as Rebecca Carson (1 episode)
- Maniac (2012) as Angela Zito, Frank's Mother
- No One Lives (2012) as Tamara
- Conception (2011) as Gina
- NCIS: Los Angeles (2011) as Eva Espinoza (1 episode)
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2011) as Nikki Vansen (1 episode)
- Love Shack (2010) as Fifi LeBeaux
- Circle (aka: 6 Dead Souls) (2010) as Britt
- Peas in a Pod (2010) as Debra
- The Last Resort (2009) as Sophia
- Neighbor (2009) as The Girl
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) as Frisbee Girl
- Bitch Slap (2009) as Camero
- Friday the 13th (2009) as Amanda
- Represent (2009) as Chloe (short film)
- The Thirst: Blood War (2008) as Amelia
- Iron Man (2008) as Dubai Beauty #1 (uncredited)
- General Hospital (2008) as Marianna (5 episodes)
- House M.D. (2005-2006) as Ingrid (2 episodes)
- How I Met Your Mother (2006) as Beautiful Woman (1 episode)
- Jake in Progress (2006) as Woman (1 episode)
- Cuts (2005) as Woman (1 episode)
- The Soluna Project (2004) as Alex (TV movie)
- HotPop (2003) as Musical Guest (1 episode)
- Livin' Large (2002) as Musical Guest- Soluna (1 episode)
- The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn (2002) as Musical Guest (1 episode)
- Playboy June Issue. Playboy Magazine. 2009.
- Healy, Patrick. "Concussion Sidelines ‘Spider-Man’ Actress". The New York Times, December 3, 2010
- "Spider-Man Musical claims another", Film Drunk, March 23, 2011
- America Olivo at MySpace
- America Olivo at MySpace Music
- America Olivo at the Internet Movie Database
- America Olivo at FEARnet