American-Romanian Academy of Arts and Sciences
The American Romanian Academy of Arts and Sciences (ARA) is an internationally recognised academic research and educational institution that conducts and supports multidisciplinary studies in exact sciences, mathematics, natural sciences, and also supports the arts, linguistics, literature, political studies and sociology. As an institution its main goal is to foster cultural exchanges between the American and Romanian cultures. ARA was founded in California in 1975 by a group of American-Romanians, and after 29 years in existence has 119 elected members, 81 corresponding members, as well as 59 Honorary Members.
ARA sponsors conferences, annual congresses, organizes research projects, and publishes its own peer-reviewed international journal under the title "Journal of the American Romanian Academy of Arts and Sciences.", as well as an ARA Newsletter for its membership.
The Romanian branch of ARA has its center in Timişoara, Romania, that is closely coordinated with the US main organization. At present, ARA also enjoys the support of its scholarly activities by the Carol I National Defence University (a Romanian homologue of the West Point Academy in the USA).
Areas of interest
ARA is presently supporting specific research activities in the following areas:
1. Anthropology 2. Applied Mathematics 3. Biology 4. Chemistry 5. Economy 6. Education 7. Engineering 8. Environment 9. History 10. Law 11. Linguistics 12. Literature 13. Medical Informatics 14. Medicine 15. Political Science 16. Philosophy 17. Physics 18. Theology
ARA also organizes educational courses at various times in specific areas such as, for example: Mathematics, Fluid Mechanics, Economics, Romanian and American History, Comparative History of Religions, Romanian Folklore and American Literature correlates, Aesthetics, Folk Dancing, Folklore Quilting and Paintings.
The list of ARA Honorary Members includes: Nobel Laureate George Palade (CA,USA), King Michael I of Romania, former Governor Michael Dukakis (CA,USA), Prof. Mircea Eliade (IL,USA), former Ambassador David Britton Funderbruk (USA) in Romania, Ambassador John R. Davis (USA), Eugène Ionesco (France), Prof. Dr. Emil Constantinescu (Third President of free Romania from 1996 to 2000), Prof. Nicolaie Georgescu (Chancellor of Alma Mater University in Sibiu, Romania), former Romanian Ambassador—Acad. Virgil Constantinescu, Prof.Alain Bezançon (France), Prof. Michel Meslin (France), Professor Emil Turdeanu(Sorbonne, France), Prof. Raghu S. Ragunathan (UK), Prof. Jacques Bouchard (decorated with the Order of Canada), Prof. Nicolas Mateesco-Matte, Academician, Prof. Jean D.A. Bozet (Belgium), Prof. Willy P.J. Legros (Belgium), Prof. Teodoro Oniga (Brazil), Romanian Academicians Augustin Buzura, Eugen Simion, Gabriel Țepelea, and Education Minister, Acad. Mircea Malița (also former Romanian Ambassador in USA and Switzerland), Acad. Prof. Grigore Belostecinic (Republic of Moldova), Acad. Prof. Andrei Andrieș, (Republic of Moldova), Reverend Gheorghe Calciu-Dumitreasa (USA),Prof. Ladis K. Kristof (CA, USA), Prof. Adrian Bejan (USA), Prof. Paul Ricœur (USA), Acad.Prof. Radu Roșca (France), Lieutenant-General Prof. Teodor Frunzeti (Romania), Prof. Claudiu Matasa (USA), together with 10 other members of a total of 42 Honorary members worldwide.
Emeriti ARA Members
There are currently 12 US Emeriti members of ARA: Prof. Raymonde A. Bulger, Prof. Mircea Sabău, Dr. Carmen Sabău, Prof. Ladis K. Kristof, Prof. Thomas Amherst Perry, Romanian Acad. Dinu C. Giurescu, Prof. Lory Wallfish, Prof. Radu Florescu, Prof. Aurel Ciufecu, Prof. Paola S. Țimiraș, Dr. Dan Grindea and Dr. Jon Cepoi. There are also 4 other Emeriti ARA members from Canada, Germany and Spain: Prof. Angela Comnene (Canada), Dr. Radu Enescu (Spain), Dr. Nicolas Catanoy (Germany) and Dr. Pavel Chihaia (Germany).
Latest six ARA Congresses
(35) in 2011 - Polytechnic University of Timişoara, Timişoara, Romania, July 6–10,(Honorary Chairman - Prof. Dr. Eng. Nicolae Robu, Rector of University "Polytehnica" of Timișoara, Chairwoman - Prof Dr. ing Ioana Ionel)
(34) in 2010 - "Carol I" National Defense University, Bucharest, Romania, May 18–23, (Honorary Chairman - Lt. General Prof. Dr. Teodor Frunzeti, Rector of "Carol I" National Defence University, Chairman - Professor Dr. Marius Hanganu)
(33) in 2009 - Sibiu Alma Mater University, Sibiu, Romania, June 2–07,(Honorary Chairman - Prof. Dr. Nicolaie Georgescu, Rector of SAMU, Chairman - Prof. Dr. Mircea Cosma)
(32) in 2008 - Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, July 22–26, (Honorary Chairman - Dr. Zorica Pantic Chairman - Assistant. Prof. Dr. Ilie Tălpășanu)
(31) in 2007 - TRANSILVANIA University, Braşov, Romania, July 31 - August 5,(Honorary Chairman - Prof. Dr. Ion Visa, Chairman - Assoc. Prof. Dr. Elena Doval)
(30) in 2005 - Academy of Economic Studies, Chișinău, Republic of Moldova, July 5–10, (Honorary Chairman - Prof. Dr. Hab. Grigore Belostecinic, Chairman - Prof. Dr. Hab. Dumitru Todoroi).
- http://www.meca.polymtl.ca/ion/ARA-AS/index.htm Home Page of ARA
- http://www.radu-barbulescu.de/index_ro.html Romanian Publication House presenting ARA
- http://www.rri.ro/index2.shtml?lang=1 ARA in the news of Radio Romania International
- http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=474 Romanians Meet at University (of Rochester) to Discuss Their "Jewel"
- http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/96/SR/PDF/09600SR0590lv.pdf Illinois State Senate Resolution
- http://www.everyculture.com/multi/Pa-Sp/Romanian-Americans.html Multicultural America: Countries and Their Culture: Romanian Americans, by Vladimir F. Wertsman
- http://www.unap.ro/en/index.html Announcement of 34th ARA Congress by Carol I National Defence University
- http://www.oac.cdlib.org/data/13030/9v/tf5s20049v/files/tf5s20049v.pdf Congress of the American Romanian Academy of Arts and Science, Paris, France, 1987
- http://www.roacad.org/journal/ Home page of ARA Journal
- http://www.bostontheological.org/marian_simion.html The Boston Theological Institute
- http://www.meca.polymtl.ca/ion/ARA-AS/newsletter.htm ARA Newsletters
- http://ara.mec.upt.ro/ ARA Romanian Branch affiliated with the Polytechnics University in Romania
- http://www.unap.ro/ Home page of Romania's Carol I National Defense University
- http://www.upt.ro/ ARA Branch in Romania with the center at the University "Politehnica" of Timişoara
- http://www.ionesco.org/vie-en.html Eugène Ionesco
- (Romanian) Communique, The Royal Family website in 2007
- (Romanian) Patriarch Daniel and King Michael have become members of the Romanian Academy, Antena 3, 19 December 2007
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Academy Members of the Romanian Academy
- http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Mateesco-Matte Acad. Nicolas Mateesco-Matte (Canada)
- http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Eugen Simion
- http://www.meca.polymtl.ca/ion/ARA-AS/archive/congress/35/program/call35ara.pdf Official Announcement of 35th ARA Congress for 2011
- http://www.upt.ro/ Announcement of 35th ARA Congress by the University "Politehnica" of Timișoara
- http://ara.unap.ro/araro/index.html The 34th ARA Congress in Romania: Scientific Research, Security, Connectivity and Sustainable Development, supported by the National Defense "University Charles I of Romania".
- http://www.meca.polymtl.ca/ion/ARA-AS/archive/congress/30/program/ARA30-Final-Report.pdf ARA 30th Congress Final Report Publication
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to American Romanian Academy of Arts and Sciences.|
- The American Romanian Academy of Arts and Sciences website
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences Home page
- The Romanian Academy
- iap: The Global Network of Science Academies
- Official website of CNRS
- Oliver North, "A Lesson in Leadership", The Washington Times, 17 April 2006
- Library of The Romanian Academy
- Publishing House of The Romanian Academy (Roum. ,,Editura Academiei Române")