American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (March 2013)|
|Type||Unrecognized higher education accreditor|
|Location||Rocky Mount, North Carolina|
American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions (AAATI) is a Christian nonprofit accreditation mill, based in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. It is operated by Cecil Johnson, president of Christian Bible College, a distance education Bible college based in Rocky Mount that has been described as a diploma mill.
AAATI was started in 1983. It is operated by Cecil Johnson, president of Christian Bible College, a distance education Bible college based in Rocky Mount that Steve Levicoff identifies as a diploma mill. In 1993, Levicoff wrote that AAATI gave accreditation for a $100 fee with no educational requirements (a $75.00 a renewal fee each year), and described it as a meaningless accreditation mill sold to schools to avoid appearing to be diploma mills.
Therapon University describes accreditation by AAATI as "religious accreditation, rather than secular". Therapon states that AAATI "monitors educational and religious standards for Bible colleges", providing accreditation that is "accepted by many religious organizations" but may not be accepted by employers or other educational institutions because AAATI lacks U.S. Department of Education recognition.
Christian Bible College
As of 2012, Christian Bible College offers "life experience" credit for degrees, fixed payments for credentials (North Carolina residents must pay sales tax) and its only contact address is a Rocky Mount Post Office Box.
Alumni of Christian Bible College include Chuck Baldwin, founder and former pastor of Crossroad Baptist Church in Pensacola, Florida, and the Constitution Party's nominee for president in 2008 and vice president in 2004.
Institutions that have claimed membership in, or accreditation from, the AAATI include:
- Alpha Omega Bible College & Seminary Inc., Elkton, South Dakota
- Christian Bible College, Rocky Mount, North Carolina
- International Institute of Church Management Inc., based in Plymouth, Pennsylvania, USA, and Chennai, India
- Liberty Bible College and Seminary 
- National Chaplains Institute's Biblical Life College and Seminary
- Oval Bible College, Lawrenceville, Georgia (formerly in Lake Charles, Louisiana)
- Pacific International University
- Slidell Baptist Seminary
- Shalom Bible College & Seminary, West Des Moines, Iowa
- Therapon University, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
- White Horse School of Ministry, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Zion Ministerial Institute
- Accreditation mill
- Diploma mill
- List of unaccredited institutions of higher learning
- List of unrecognized accreditation associations of higher learning
- Statement of Faith, Christian Bible College website (accessed October 21, 2007)
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation
- "American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions, Inc.". Better Business Bureau. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Steve Levicoff. Name It and Frame It?. (3rd edition) Institute on Religion and Law. 1993 (page 34-35) ASIN B0006F1PCQ
- "Therapon University Accreditation". Therapon University. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Costs Christian Bible College
- Curriculum Christian Bible College
- Contact Christian Bible College
- "Dr. Chuck Baldwin: A Biographical Sketch". Constitution Party of Texas. Archived from the original on July 25, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- Accreditation, Alpha Omega Bible College & Seminary website (accessed October 21, 2007)
- Accreditation and Membership Particulars, International Institute of Church Management website (accessed October 21, 2007)
- Liberty Bible College and Seminary Accreditation page (accessed May 1, 2009)
- Biblical Life College & Seminary webpage (accessed October 21, 2007)
- Oval Bible College home page (accessed May 14, 2009)
- Pacific International website states that its "memberships do NOT constitute accreditation by the U.S. Office of Education.""Credentials and recognition". Pacific International University. January 2006. Archived from the original on 2006-05-04. Retrieved 2007-10-21.
- Slidell Baptist Seminary, accessed Jan 29, 2012
- "Shalom Bible College & Seminary" (website). Retrieved March 19, 2013. "Shalom Bible College & Seminary is: Accredited and in good standing with the "American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions"."
- Christian Bible College (Same operator as American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions)