American Book Company (1996)
|Founded||1996by Dr. Frank Pintozzi and Colleen Pintozzi|
|Founders||Dr. Frank Pintozzi and Colleen Pintozzi|
|Headquarters||Woodstock, Georgia, United States|
|Area served||United States|
|Services||Online practice testing|
American Book Company is a textbook and software publishing company. Its main focus is on standardized test preparation materials. It offers books covering language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies tests. The company also produces transparencies, basic review books, and ACT and SAT preparation books.
It currently publishes nearly 200 materials, most of them specifically developed for Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.
American Book Company was founded in 1996 by Dr. Frank Pintozzi, a professor of reading and English as a Second Language at Kennesaw State University, and Colleen Pintozzi, a math teacher and supervisor of General Educational Development programs.
They began writing textbooks for nearby South Carolina. After finding success, they created more books for states across the country.
American Book Company books have frequent references to standards provided by state departments of education. Each book is based around multiple practice tests modeled after the relevant state test.
In 2006, publishing consultant Lois Eskin Associates studied the effects of using American Book Company books to prepare for standardized tests. The goal of the study was to find if students were more likely to pass standardized tests after studying with American Book Company books. The study included schools in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Texas.
Books Adopted by State Boards of Education
- Mastering the AL Direct Assessment in Writing: Grade 10 ISBN 1-932410-68-6
- Mastering the GA CRCT 6th in Language Arts ISBN 978-1-59807-167-2
- Mastering the GA CRCT 6th in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-066-8
- Mastering the GA CRCT 7th in Language Arts ISBN 978-1-59807-168-9
- Mastering the GA CRCT 7th in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-070-5
- Passing the 7th Grade ARMT in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-160-3
- Passing the 8th Grade ARMT in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-039-2
- Passing the GA CRCT 3rd in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-131-3
- Passing the GA CRCT 5th in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-054-5
- Passing the GA CRCT 8th in Language Arts ISBN 978-1-59807-010-1
- Passing the GA CRCT 8th in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-011-8
- Passing the GA Grade 8 Writing Assessment ISBN 978-1-59807-132-0
- Passing the New AL High School Graduation Exam in Language ISBN 978-1-59807-163-4
- Passing the New AL High School Graduation Exam in Reading ISBN 978-1-59807-164-1
American Book Company offers online practice testing and classroom management software.
- "American Book Company Joins NSTA SciLinks Program". Reuters. May 27, 2008. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "Validation Study of American Book Company’s High School Graduation Test Preparation Programs". Lois Eskin Associates. Archived from the original on 19 February 2009. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- Many state departments of education maintain lists of books recommended for their member schools.
- "Classroom Improvement Publications". Alabama State Department of Education. Archived from the original on 19 March 2009. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "2008 K-8 English Language Arts/Reading State Recommended Learning Resources". Georgia Department of Education. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "Career and Technical Education (CTE) Program Resource List". State of New Jersey Department of Education. Archived from the original on 11 March 2009. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "The Winner's Circle". Patrick Henry High School. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved March 11, 2009.[dead link]
- "CAHSEE English Course Outline". Visalia Unified School District. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "AHSGE Prep Resource Links". Paul W. Bryant High School. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "TeacherTube eNewsletter, December 2008". TeacherTube. Archived from the original on 2 February 2009. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "Adopt-a-Book Partners". Adopt-a-Book. Retrieved March 11, 2009.
- "Covenant Partners". Knoxville Habitat for Humanity. Retrieved March 11, 2009.[dead link]