American Champion Two-Year-Old Filly
The American Champion Two-Year-Old Filly is an American Thoroughbred horse racing honor awarded annually to a female horse in Thoroughbred flat racing. It became part of the Eclipse Awards program in 1971.
The award originated in 1936 when both the Daily Racing Form (DRF) and Turf and Sports Digest (TSD) magazine began naming an annual champion. Starting in 1950, the Thoroughbred Racing Associations (TRA) began naming its own champion. The following list provides the name of the horses chosen by both of these organizations. There were several disagreements, with more than one champion being recognized on seven occasions.
The Daily Racing Form, the Thoroughbred Racing Associations, and the National Turf Writers Association all joined forces in 1971 to create the Eclipse Award. In 1978, the voting resulted in a tie between two fillies.
Champions prior to 1936 were selected retrospectively by a panel of experts as published by The Blood-Horse magazine. These awards included several joint-winners.
Daily Racing Form, Turf & Sport Digest and Thoroughbred Racing Association Awards
Daily Racing Form and Turf & Sport Digest Awards
|1949||Bed o' Roses||William C. Winfrey||Alfred G. Vanderbilt II|
|1948||Myrtle Charm||James W. Smith||Maine Chance Farm|
|1947||Bewitch||Horace A. Jones||Calumet Farm|
|1946||First Flight||Sylvester Veitch||C. V. Whitney|
|1945||Beaugay||Tom Smith||Maine Chance Farm|
|1944||Busher||James W. Smith||Edward R. Bradley|
|1943||Durazna (DRF)||John M. Goode||Brownell Combs|
|1943||Twilight Tear (TSD)||Ben A. Jones||Calumet Farm|
|1942||Askmenow||Kenneth Osborne||Hal Price Headley|
|1941||Petrify||A. Holberg||Alfred G. Vanderbilt II|
|1940||Level Best||not found||Crispin Oglebay|
|1939||Now What||Bud Stotler||Alfred G. Vanderbilt II|
|1938||Incoselda||Ben A. Jones||Woolford Farm|
|1937||Jacola||Selby L. Burch||Nancy Carr Friendly|
|1936||Apogee||Duval A. Headley||Hal Price Headley|
Informal and retrospective awards
- The Eclipse Awards at the Thoroughbred Racing Associations of America, Inc.
- The Bloodhorse.com Champion's history charts
- "Unprecedented turf sweep by Dr Fager". Press-Courier. November 28, 1968. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Dr Fager Named top horse". Montreal Gazette. November 13, 1968. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Kelso Named Again as Horse-of-Year". Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. 1963-12-06. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Kelso named Horse of Year". Star-News. November 24, 1962. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- "Kelso named champ". Miami News. November 28, 1962. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- "Kelso voted Horse of the Year". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. December 6, 1962. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- "Sweep for Swaps". Leader-Post. December 7, 1955. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- "Sports in brief". Daytona Beach Morning Journal. December 12, 1955. Retrieved 2012-07-14.
- "Count Fleet is horse of year". Tuscaloosa News. December 17, 1943. Retrieved 2012-07-13.