American Civil Rights Union
The American Civil Rights Union (ACRU) is an American civil liberties organization founded by former Reagan Administration official Robert B. Carleson in 1998. It was founded in response to views that the most prominent civil liberties organization, the American Civil Liberties Union, was too leftward leaning; ACRU has been described as a conservative civil liberties advocacy group. The ACRU has filed numerous amicus briefs in court cases involving the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), gun ownership and property rights cases, and cases involving the Boy Scouts of America including the 2000 U.S. Supreme Court case of Boy Scouts of America v. Dale, defending the Boy Scouts' freedom of association right to create their own criteria for leaders and members. Christopher Coates is the ACRU General Counsel, J. Kenneth Blackwell and Robert Knight are Senior Fellows, Jan LaRue is a Senior Legal Analyst, Mike Korbey is Managing Director, and Carleson's widow, Susan, is chairwoman.
The ACRU Policy Board includes:
- Edwin Meese III, former U.S. Attorney General
- William Bradford Reynolds, former assistant U.S. Attorney General for Civil Rights
- James Q. Wilson, (emeritus-deceased) professor, Pepperdine University School of Public Policy
- Curtin Winsor, former U.S. Ambassador to Costa Rica
- Walter E. Williams, professor of economics, George Mason University
- Charles J. Cooper, former Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel
- Richard Bender Abell, former Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Justice Programs
- J. Kenneth Blackwell, former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Human Rights Commission
- J. Christian Adams, author, columnist and former attorney in the Voting Section of the U.S. Justice Department
- Hans von Spakovsky, author, columnist and former Federal Election Commission
- Christopher Coates, former Voting Section chief of the U.S. Justice Department's Civil Rights Division
The ACRU's main focus areas are:
- Election Integrity
- Property Rights
- Freedom of Religion
- Equality Under the Law
- Right to Keep and Bear Arms
- Individual Liberty and Federalism
Opposition to Same Sex Marriage
- These Are the Times That Try Men's Souls: America --Then and Now -- in the Words of Tom Paine, edited by John Armor with illustrations by Olga Calco, 242 pages with index (2010).
- Government IS the Problem: Memoirs of Ronald Reagan's Welfare Reformer, by Robert B. Carleson, edited by Susan A. Carleson and Hans A. Zeiger, 160 pages with index (2009).
- The Truth About Voter ID (2014), by Don Feder.
- The Truth About Jim Crow (2014)
-  The Truth about Gun Control (2015)
- Robert Carleson, Peter Ferrara (2 January 2002). "ACLU joins the security fray".
- "National conservative civil liberties group supports argument that Menendez recall is constitutional". 2 April 2010.
- Human Events URL accessed 2008-04-06.
- http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/3/robert-knight-forcing-gay-marriage-on-americans-wo/ Civil rights and wrongs - Forcing gay marriage on Americans would be an act of tyranny - Washington Times - May 3, 2015
- http://www.theacru.org/saying-no-to-illicit-rulings/ Saying No to Illicit Rulings - Washington Times - Feb. 1, 2015
- ACRU website
- ACRU Charity Statistics
- ACRU Donors and Grants
- Election Integrity Defense Project
- Recall the Rogues
|This article about an organization in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|