||This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (December 2012)|
American Desi DVD Cover
|Directed by||Piyush Dinker Pandya|
|Produced by||Deep Katdare
Cyrus E. Koewing
Piyush Dinker Pandya
|Written by||Piyush Dinker Pandya|
Sanjit De Silva
|Running time||100 min|
American Desi is a 2001 American film with Indian influence, notable for featuring many prominent South Asian American actors. Also featured is an a cappella version of Nazia Hassan's Urdu classic "Aap Jaisa Koi", sung by Penn Masala and originally from the movie Qurbani. The term Desi in the title refers to the peoples and cultures of the Indian subcontinent.   
An American-raised Indian, Krishnagopal Reddy (or "Kris" as he prefers to be called, to distance himself from his heritage) finds out to his dismay that his Princeton University roommates are all Indian. He does not associate with the Indian culture that his parents and family have pushed upon him and prefers to be as American as possible. His roommates include Ajay (Kal Penn), an African-American idolizing desi; Jagjit, who loves art but studies engineering to please his father; and Salim, who is very traditional and conservative, feeling that Indian-American girls are too Westernized to make good wives.
Kris meets Nina, a girl he immediately falls for, and is surprised to find out that not only is she Indian, but she is also quite involved with Indian culture. The movie revolves around him making mistakes and trying his best to win Nina over, from joining the Indian Students Association to be near her, to learning how to perform a Dandiya Raas. Thus, Kris eventually begins to enjoy the company of his roommates, all of whom put together their knowledge and skill to help Kris impress Nina through various ways involving the Indian culture, which he eventually comes to love as well.
- Deep Katdare as Kris Reddy
- Purva Bedi as Nina Shah
- Ronobir Lahiri as Jagjit Singh
- Rizwan Manji as Salim Ali Khan
- Kal Penn as Ajay Pandya
- Anil Kumar as Rakesh Patel
- Sunita Param as Farah Saeed
- Aladdin Ullah as Gautam Rao
- Eric Axen as Eric Berger
- Sanjit De Silva as Chandu
- Sunil Malhotra as Hemant
- Ami Shukla as Priya
- Krishen Mehta as Mr. Reddy (Kris's father)
- Smita Patel as Mrs. Reddy (Kris's mother)
- Bina Sharif as Mrs. Saeed
- Tirlok Malik as Mr. Saeed
- Ravi Khanna as Mr. Singh
- Holden, Stephen. "FILM REVIEW; He Wants To Be What He Can't Be". nytimes.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "American Desi (2001)". imdb.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "American Desi". metacritic.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "American Desi (2001)". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Patel, Nina. "American Desi (12)". viewlondon.com.uk. Retrieved 29 November 2013.