American Fork High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
|American Fork High School|
|American Fork, Utah
|School district||Alpine School District|
|Color(s)||Red, black, and white|
American Fork High School is a public high school in American Fork, Utah. Its mascot is the Caveman, chosen as a tribute to Timpanogos Cave. The school is perhaps best known for its award-winning marching band, which has regularly reached regional finals and national finals once, performed in high-profile parades, and been the state champion for over 20 years.
American Fork High School was ranked in the top-scoring 50 high schools in Utah, based on students' scores in Utah's Criterion Referenced Tests (CRT). The percentage of students who met proficiency standards were as follows: Language Arts 92%, Mathematics 45.6%, and Science 74.9%, all above average for the state. In addition, in 2011, 33% of seniors took one or more Advanced Placement test, with a pass rate of 78%.
The Cavemen currently play in Class 5A and Region IV. The school's girls' basketball team won the 2008-2009 Utah 5A state championship against Riverton High School, winning 51-40. In 2009 the boys and girls cross country teams won the 5A state championships, and in 2010, 2011 and 2012 the boys team went back for a repeat state championships. In 2012 the baseball team won its first state championship in 27 years.
After many years of successful State campaigns (2nd place in '07 and '08), the Cavemen won their first State Championship in '09. They went undefeated in Utah, and shattered the State record by 90 seconds behind individual State record holder Austin West. They went on to win NXN-SW and placed 8th at Nike Cross Nationals in Portland, Oregon. In 2010, they again went undefeated in the state of Utah, decimating every course record, culminating in breaking their own State record by more than 30 seconds. They were again ranked #1 nationally for a time by ESPN-RISE. State champion Clayton Young led the charge, coming in first for a Caveman team that placed 5 in the top 8. They again went on to win NXN-SW in record fashion and 8th at Nike Cross Nationals. In 2011, despite graduating nearly all their varsity runners, the Cavemen again went undefeated in the state of Utah. They barely edged out Davis for their 3rd straight State Championship, behind individual champion MacKenzie Morrison. They then won a third consecutive NXN-SW crown and placed 6th at Nike Cross Nationals. And in 2012 the Cavemen went on to win their fourth straight State trophy behind Brayden McLelland who finished 2nd just behind Kramer Morton. They then went on to win NXN-SW and finished 2nd at Nike Cross Nationals with Brayden McLelland finishing 2nd team All-American.
In 2009, the girls' team also won a State championship, and has placed well in years since.
American Fork High's cheer squad, in 08-09, took 2nd place at Cheerleading Nationals in Anaheim, California. In 09-10 they took 1st place at 4 regional competitions, including taking 1st place in the state of Utah. That same year they took 2nd place at Nationals. Currently, in the 2010-2011 season, the cheerleaders took 1st place at every regional competition, including taking 1st place in state. They competed at United Spirit Association cheerleading nationals on March 26, 2011, and took 2nd place.They placed first at the 2012 Championships.
The American Fork High School Marching Band has been invited to parades across the nation, and has performed at Bands of America (BOA) competitions on multiple occasions. They qualified in 1995 for Finals at the Bands of America Grand National Championships. They marched in the 1998 Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. In January 2005, they participated in President George W. Bush's second inauguration parade. In 2007, they traveled to New York City as the only band from Utah ever to participate in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade In 2008, the band placed 1st at the BOA Regional in Las Vegas, becoming the reigning Western Regional Champions, the only band from Utah ever to win the title. The band then won the Western Regional competition in 2009. In 2010 and 2011 the band placed 2nd overall.
The band has consisted of 200+ members for the past several years. The band has a tradition of honoring deceased current students and teachers by using a missing man formation, which has happened at least four times in the last two decades. In 2009, a band instructor died in a bus accident while attempting to prevent a crash.
In 2008, the American Fork High School Marching Band traveled to Indianapolis, IN for the Bands of America Grand National Championships. They made it to the semifinals and placed 14th out of nearly 90 bands. At the 2009 Grand National Competition, the American Fork Marching Band was presented with the Esprit de Corps award. They also placed 15th in the nation when they competed in one of the most competitive years Grand Nationals has ever seen. In 2010, American Fork was one of the three recipients of the Sudler Shield.
The band performed in the 2012 New Year's Day Rose Parade for the second time on January 2, 2012. They are one of three bands in Utah's history to march in this parade.
- Derek Smith (linebacker), Former NFL linebacker.
- Bronco Mendenhall, head coach of Brigham Young University's football team.
- Julie B. Beck, Former Relief Society General President of LDS Church.
- Merrill J. Bateman, general authority in LDS Church and former president of Brigham Young University
- "Administration". American Fork High School. Alpine School District.
- Joey Ferguson (June 2012). "The 50 best scoring high schools in Utah". Deseret News. Deseret News Publishing Co. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "American Fork High School Test Scores". US News and World Report. US News and World Report. May 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Laura Hancock (November 2007). "American Fork band 'flying high' in N.Y.". Deseret News. Deseret News Publishing Co. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- "Teacher killed in American Fork Band bus crash". Daily Herald. Daily Herald Newspaper. October 2009. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- "Sousa Foundation Sudler Shield". Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- David Burger (May 2011). "American Fork High School Marching Band to be honored by president of Rose Bowl Parade". The Salt Lake tribune. The Salt Lake Tribune Publishing co. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "Derek Smith". Database Sports. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Bronco Mendenhall - Head Football Coach". Brigham Young Athletics Website. Brigham Young University. May 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- "Julie B. Beck Biographical Sketch". LDS Website - Relief Society. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. May 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- "President - Bateman". Brigham Young Past Presidents Website. Brigham Young University. May 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- "Bishop Bateman Called to First Quorum of Seventy and as BYU President". Ensign. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. January 1996. Retrieved 2010-06-03.