American Gun (2005 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aric Avelino|
|Produced by||Ted Kroeber|
|Written by||Aric Avelino
Marcia Gay Harden
|Music by||Schuyler Fisk
|Edited by||Participant Media|
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
|Running time||95 minutes|
|Box office||$34,138 |
American Gun is a 2005 film produced by Participant Productions, IFC Films, IFC First Take, and Spirit Dance Entertainment. It was written in 2001 by Steven Bagatourian and Aric Avelino and directed by Avelino as his directorial debut.
The film took two and a half years to finance. The central idea came from a "Column One" article in the Los Angeles Times. In addition, the writers were influenced by a friend from the Chicago school district who related stories about how students brought guns to school, not to use them on campus, but because of the dangerous neighborhoods they live in or walk through to attend classes. Avelino was very appreciative of the directitorial advice of Forest Whitaker, one of the film's producers. The first actress attached to the project was Marcia Gay Harden.
American Gun centers around three stories dealing with the results of gun use: an inner city school principal (Whitaker), a single mother (Harden), and an A student (Cardellini) who works at her family's gun shop.
According to boxofficemojo.com, American Gun took in $24,098 in a limited release from one to six theatres in a little over 10 weeks in theatres from March 22-June 1, 2006. It was featured on the IFC program First Take[disambiguation needed].
- Marcia Gay Harden - Janet Huttenson
- Forest Whitaker - Carter
- Donald Sutherland - Carl Wilk
- Lisa Long - Sandra Cohen
- Arlen Escarpeta - Jay
- Chris Warren Jr. - Marcus
- David Heymann - Producer
- Chris Marquette - David Huttenson
- Amanda Seyfried - Mouse
- Nikki Reed - Tally
- Joseph Kell - Security Guard
- Tony Goldwyn - Frank
- Rex Linn - Earl
- Kevin Phillips - Reggie
- Davenia McFadden - Felicia
- Linda Cardellini - Mary Ann Wilk
- Schuyler Fisk - Cicily
- Michael Shannon (as Michael J. Shannon) - Jerry
- Charles Duckworth - Connie
- Todd Tesen - Barry
- Melissa Leo - Louise
- Gary Paul Clark - Supervisor
- Ali Hillis- Gun Shop Patron
- Garcelle Beauvais (as Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon) - Sarah
- Independent Spirit Awards Nominations
- LMU ALUMNI MAKE FILM DEBUT WITH “AMERICAN GUN”, by Victoria Walsh, March 23, 2006.
- Taken from Avelino during a Q&A at The Screenland, in Kansas City, on April 22, 2006.
- "Synopsis: American Gun". Screenland.com. Archived from the original on December 11, 2007.
- IFC Unveils Day & Date Program, indieWIRE.
- IMDb's awards page.