AIA Group Limited
|Traded as||SEHK: 1299|
|Industry||Insurance, financial services and securities|
|Founded||1919 as American International Assurance Co Ltd|
|Founder||Cornelius Vander Starr|
1 Connaught Road Central, Central, Hong Kong
|Mark Tucker (Group Chief Executive and President)|
|Products||Insurance annuities, mutual funds|
|US$ 2.159 billion (2012)|
|US$ 3.019 billion (2012)|
|Total assets||US$ 134.439 billion (2012)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||The Power of We|
AIA Group Limited  known as AIA (Chinese: 友邦保險) is an insurance company based in Hong Kong. It has offices in Asia-Pacific region including Taiwan, China, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia, Macau, South Korea, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Brunei and Vietnam. Holdings include Philippine American Life and General Insurance Company and minority stakes in TATA AIA Life Insurance and TATA AIG General Insurance.
AIA traces its roots back to 1919 when American Cornelius Vander Starr opened insurance agency in Shanghai, China. Vander Starr eventually expanded his business throughout Asia, United States and worldwide. However in 1945, he relocated his head office from Shanghai to New York after a forced exit from mainland China. Thus the Asian AIA became subsidiary of New York based American International Group (AIG).
In 2009 AIA split from AIG after it was finalized that AIA as well as ALICO (another AIG subsidiary) were placed under the administration of a Special Purpose Vehicle in exchange for the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. In December 2012, AIA was informed by AIG that AIG had entered into a placing agreement to sell all of its ordinary shares of AIA at a price of HK$30.30 per share. Upon completion of the placing, AIG has fully divested its holding of shares in AIA.
According to the statistics from the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (保險業監理處) and Securities & Futures Commission of Hong Kong (證券及期貨事務監察委員會), AIA being the number 1 of Hong Kong insurance company in terms of the number of policies, its market share in Hong Kong Insurance and Securities market (on Non-Linked Individual Business) is 26% and sum assured worth more than 400 billion HKD (i.e. more than US$50 billion).
AIA was planned to be listed in Hong Kong Stock Exchange in April 2010. However, in March 2010, Prudential plc, a United Kingdom-based financial services and securities company, announced that it will buy AIA for $35.5 billion. The purchase later fell through, and AIA held an IPO later in October 2010 raising $20.51 billion, the fourth largest ever IPO.
It was announced on 15 August 2013, that AIA Group would be Tottenham Hotspur's cup shirt sponsor. Starting with the 2014/15 season, they would also become the official shirt sponsor for the league, making them the shirt sponsor for all competitions.
- "AIA Corporate Facts". Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Provisional Statistics on Hong Kong Long Term, Workers Compensation, Medical, Accident and Health Insurance Business: January to June 2008" (PDF) (in Chinese). Office of the Commissioner of Insurance and Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong. pp. 19–21. Archived (PDF) from the original on 10 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "Prudential Plc to Buy AIA for $35.5 Billion to Expand in Asia". BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 4 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "AIG Says AIA IPO Generated Gross Proceeds Of $20.51B". The Wall Street Journal. 2010-10-29.[dead link]
- Cathy Chan and Maud van Gaal (11 October 2012). "ING Agrees to Sell Malaysia Unit to AIA Group". Bloomberg.
- Hong Kong Office of Commissioner of Insurance
- Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission
- AIA Group Limited
- AIA Australia
- AIA China
- AIA Hong Kong
- AIA Indonesia
- AIA Malaysia
- AIA New Zealand
- Philam Life
- AIA Singapore
- AIA South Korea
- AIA Sri Lanka
- AIA Taiwan
- AIA Thailand
- AIA Vietnam