American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine
|American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine|
|Chairman||Kenneth Adams, D.O.|
|Vice Chairman||Brad Suprenant, D.O.|
|Secretary-Treasurer||Beckie Michael, D.O.|
The American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine (AOBIM) is an organization that provides board certification to qualified Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) who specialize in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease in adults (internists). The board is one 18 medical specialty certifying boards of the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists approved by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), and was established in 1942. As of December 2011, 3,072 osteopathic internal medical physicians held active certification with the AOBIM.
Initial certification is available to osteopathic internal medicine physicians who have successfully completed an AOA-approved residency in internal medicine, two years of practice, successful completion of written and oral exams, and chart review.
Voluntary recertification was first offered in Fall 1994, and mandatory recertification began in March 1997. Before this time, the initial board certification was permanent and recertification was not required. Since March 1997, if a physician does not recertify every eight years, their board certification status expires.
- Infectious Disease
- Pulmonary Diseases
- Addiction Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Geriatric Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
The Certification of Added Qualifications must be maintained through the process of recertification every 10 years.
In order for an osteopathic physician to be board-certified in any specialty, they must be AOA members, pay certification fees, and complete at least 120 hours of continuing medical education in a three-year period.
- AOA Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists
- American College of Osteopathic Internists
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- "AOA Specialty Certifying Boards". American Osteopathic Association. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- Ayres, Ronald E; S Scheinthal, C Gross, and E Bell. (April 2012). "Changes to Osteopathic Specialty Board Certification". Journal of the American Osteopathic Association 112 (4): 226–231. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Specialties & Subspecialties". American Osteopathic Association. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Medical Boards: Osteopathic". Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. 2012. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "Osteopathic Certification". American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Certification of Osteopathic Physicians". American Osteopathic Association. Retrieved 25 August 2012.