American Public University System
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2011)|
|American Public University System|
|Motto||Educating those who serve|
|President||Wallace E. Boston, Jr.|
|Academic staff||1,600+ |
|Location||Charles Town, West Virginia, United States of America|
|Colors||Blue and White
|Mascot||AMU Golden Eagles; APU Volunteers|
The American Public University System (APUS) is a for-profit, online learning institution of higher education that is composed of the American Military University and the American Public University. APUS is wholly owned by American Public Education, Inc., a publicly traded private-sector corporation (NASDAQ: APEI). APUS maintains corporate and academic offices in Charles Town, West Virginia and administrative offices in Manassas, Virginia. APUS offers associate, bachelor's and master's degrees.
The university was founded in 1991 by Major James P. Etter (USMC, retired) as the American Military University. Operations began in January 1993 with the enrollment of 18 graduate students. Initially, the main goal of the university was to meet the unique educational needs of military personnel needing courses in specialized areas, such as counterterrorism and military intelligence, that were not included in typical university course offerings. In the early years, instruction was done through conventional correspondence.
In June 1995 AMU became nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). In January of the following year, the school introduced its first undergraduate programs. In 1998 AMU made the transition from correspondence-based learning to online learning.
In 2002 AMU expanded to become the American Public University System and established American Public University, intended primarily for civilians and public service programs. In 2006 APUS was granted regional accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. In 2012 the American Public University System resigned its DETC accreditation. In 2013, the university was listed on the U.S. News & World Report top 160 online Bachelor Degree Programs list. The school was tied with two others for the rank of 34 on that list.
American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The University's School of Business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The University's Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
American Public University System offers more than 90 degree programs and more than 180 degree and certificate programs across six academic schools through American Military University and American Public University. The schools are:
- School of Arts and Humanities
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Public Service and Health
- School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- School of Security and Global Studies
- Alan Hale, co-discoverer of Comet Hale-Bopp.
- James F. Reilly, geologist and former NASA astronaut.
- Wendy B. Lawrence, former NASA astronaut.
- Nicole Malachowski, United States Air Force officer and the first female pilot selected to fly as part of the USAF Air Demonstration Squadron, better known as the Thunderbirds. (Master of Arts (with honors), National Security Policy, 2009)
Students at APUS are involved in a variety of different student organizations and honor societies. This includes chapters for the National Association for Environmental Professionals (NAEP), International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM), Student Veterans of America (SVA), the Society of Human Resources Management, and The Saber and Scroll for History students.
Academic Honor Societies include: Alpha Phi Sigma, Sigma Beta Delta, Delta Epsilon Tau, Epsilon Pi Phi, Golden Key, Pi Gamma Mu, Delta Mu Delta, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and Sigma Iota Rho.
- Logistics & Transportation Online Education
- "APUS Facts". apus.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "CEO Interview: American Public Education, Inc. (APEI) - Dr. Wallace Boston". Twst.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "American Public University System in Charles Town, WV - APUS, American Military University". StateUniversity.com. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Report from the Accrediting Commission". Distance Training and Education Council. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- U.S. News & World Report Top Online Bachelor Degree Programs listings
- "AQIP Institutions". Ncahlc.org. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Current Accredited Programs and Members". ACBSP. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "CCNE Accredited Nursing Degree Programs". CCNE. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- "APUS Academic Schools". apus.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- "AMU Faculty Member: Alan Hale". Amu.apus.edu. 1999-08-11. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "AMU Faculty Member: Wendy B Lawrence". Amu.apus.edu. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "President Bush Appoints 2008-2009 Class of White House Fellows". Georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov. 2008-06-26. Retrieved 2012-07-08.