American Residential Services
Old and new (2009) ARS/Rescue Rooter logos
|Founder(s)||C. Clifford Wright (co-founder)|
|Area served||24 states and Washington, DC|
|Key people||Donald K. Karnes, CEO
David M. Slott, President/COO
|Revenue||600 million (2010-2011)|
American Residential Services (ARS) is a United States network of plumbing, and home and commercial heating and air conditioning (HVAC) businesses, operating under the trade name ARS/Rescue Rooter. The trade name came from the acquisition and merging of ARS and Rescue Rooter by their then parent company ServiceMaster. They have locations in 24 states. The company is based in Memphis, Tennessee.
The name "Rescue Rooter" was trademarked in 1976 by the California based Rescue Industries Inc. C. Clifford Wright co-founded American Residential Services. The Servicemaster Company, based in Downers Grove, Illinois, purchased Rescue Industries. It then acquired Houston, Texas based ARS in 1999 for $92 million plus $180 million in assumed debt.  ARS/Rescue Rooter was then acquired from ServiceMaster by two private equity firms, Caxton-Iseman Capital and Royal Palm Capital Partners, for $100 million in October 2006.
Also, American Residential Services is the parent company to other service providers such as EAS ().
- Roto Rooter, a well known competing plumbing company
- "ARS/Rescue Rooter 2009 REBRAND 100 Winners > notable". REBRAND. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "American Residential Services Completes Two Acquisitions". businesswire.com. Business Wire. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Company Overview of American Residential Services L.L.C.". .businessweek.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- Plumbing and PVC bending. Harrison Plumbing and Heating. 2014. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "Who We Are" page at ARS website
- "Rescue rooter name trademarked by Rescue Industries". The Desert News. October 25, 1978. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "herc products inc (HERC:OTC US) - C. Clifford Wright Jr.". businessweek.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- Culloton, Dan (January 6, 1998). "Suburban firms get aggressive with mergers". newsbank.com. Daily Herald. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "COMPANY NEWS; SERVICEMASTER TO BUY TEXAS COMPANY FOR $92 MILLION". nytimes.com. New York Times. March 24, 1999. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- Efficient Attic Systems
- "ServiceMaster finds buyer for American Residential Services". Memphis Business Journal (American City Business Journals, Inc). October 3, 2006. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- "Caxton-Iseman Capital and Royal Palm Capital Partners Acquire American Residential Services from ServiceMaster". FinanzNachrichten.de. October 3, 2006. Retrieved 2009-03-25.