American School of Tegucigalpa
|American School of Tegucigalpa|
|Motto||Excellence for All|
|Location||P.O. BOX 2134,,
Tegucigalpa, Francisco Morazán, Honduras
The American School of Tegucigalpa (or AST) is a private, coeducational international school located in the neighborhood of Lomas de Guijarro, in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Students who attend this school come from high status families in Honduras or diplomats.
AST is accredited by the Honduran Ministry of Education, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), and the International Baccalaureate Organization. The Honduran Ministry of Education grants the national degree of Bachillerato to students who comply with additional credits and 160 hours of community service.
The school has 61 classrooms, including science and computer laboratories in the elementary, middle, and secondary buildings, rooms for music,and a separate preschool building. The elementary complex was renovated during the summer of 1997. The middle school was renovated during the summer of 2002. The preschool building was renovated during the summer of 2004. There is a media center, counselor offices, and a gymnasium. Also available are covered basketball courts and a soccer field.
The American School of Tegucigalpa serves its pre-school, elementary, middle, and high school populations through two libraries: one for the elementary school and one at the middle/high school. A collection is being started for the pre-school. Among the library visitors are alumni, Honduran government officials, and individuals from the community. The materials are in English and Spanish.
Separate buildings house the preschool, elementary, middle school, and high school students. The administration offices, main library, auditorium, and gynasium are in separate buildings. Athletic facilities include a lower school playground, indoor and outdoor courts for basketball and volleyball, and playing fields for soccer and softball.
- Enrollment at AST for the 2010-2011 school year is 1168 students.
- The high school enrollment is 303 of which 78 are seniors.
- 20% of the students are US citizens, 65% are Honduran
and 15% of other nationalities.
There are 101 full-time faculty members including 25 U.S. citizens, 69 Honduran, 5 Canadian, 1 Hindu and 1 Peruvian; 70% are fully bilingual and 45% hold at least one masters Degree.
Heads and Coordinators of the institution include:
- Superintendent - Liliana Jenkins
- High School Principal - Maria Francisca Motz
- Middle School Principal - Ricardo Belgrave
- Elementary School Principal - Lourdes Vides
- Pre-School Principal - Claudia Pereira
The school offers athletic competition in three varsity sports: basketball, soccer and volleyball. AST teams compete nationally and internationally against schools affiliated with the Association of Bilingual Schools of Honduras (ABSH) and the Association of American Schools of Central America (AASCA).
The co-curricular program includes:
- National Honor Society
- Hispanic Honor Society
- Student Council
- The Student Senate
- International Club
- Environmental Club
- Kaleidoscope Magazine
- Knowledge Bowl
- Presidential Classroom
- Junior State of America
- Model United Nations
- Sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball, etc.)
- Oswaldo Lopez Arellano (former President of Honduras)
- Carlos Roberto Flores (former President of Honduras)
- Ricardo Maduro (former President of Honduras)
- Ernesto Bendeck (Honduran industrialist)
- "Introduction." American School of Tegucigalpa. Web. 26 Feb. 2012. <http://www.amschool.org/introduction1.html>.
- Content adapted from the official school web site and from the unofficial alumni web site linked above, as well as the United States Department of State's web site.