American Sports University
|American Sports University|
|Location||San Bernardino, California, United States|
American Sports University is a private sports business university in San Bernardino, California. It has remained unaccredited since its inception in 2006; it is still currently seeking accreditation. It has been granted approval to operate from the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.
American Sports University is located in Downtown San Bernardino.
ASU opened in the fall of 2006. Dr. Donald Singer is the President of the university and Dr. Harry Hwang is the Founder and Chairman of the Board. The Board of Directors are five members that include Hwang's wife and daughter.
Several buildings that comprise the current ASU campus were formerly owned by the San Bernardino Sun. The campus spans two blocks and includes instructional classrooms, a dormitory, the ASU gym (formerly the San Bernardino Sun printer press), and the future nursing school building (formerly the San Bernardino Public Defender's Office).
The historic Fox Theatre of San Bernardino is also a part of ASU's campus. All original seating that was once part of this building have been removed to accommodate weekly raves the school typically hosts.
American Sports University offers several sports-related programs.
- Graduate Degree Programs
- Master of Science in Sports Education
- Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Education
- Bachelor of Science in Golf Management
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Management
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Coaching
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Health
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Training and Fitness
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Recreation Management
- Bachelor of Science in Sports Marketing
Non-Traditional Athletics Available
- Tae Kwon Do
WBC Legends of Boxing Museum
The Administration Building is home to the WBC Legends of Boxing Museum. The WBC Legends of Boxing Museum is the only museum sanctioned and dedicated to fighters of the WBC. The first members to be honored and enshrined at the museum was the WBC Hall of Fame Class of 2008. Class of 2008 Inductees were Ken Norton, Danny Lopez, Armando Ramos, Lennox Lewis, Genaro Hernandez, Gabriel Ruelas, Diego Corrales, Roger Mayweather, Paul Banke, Bobby Chacon, Armando Muniz, Rene Arredondo, and Alberto Davila.
The museum contains memorabilia from past WBC champions that is showcased on standing glass cases, wall cases and more. Some of the WBC legends whose memorabilia are on display include Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Julio Cesar Chavez, Lennox Lewis, Marco Antonio Barrera, Ken Norton, Diego Corrales, Erik Morales, Danny Lopez, Roger Mayweather, Rene Arredondo, Bobby Chacon, Salvador Sánchez, and Laila Ali.
- R. Jay Soward, former NFL wide receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars (did not graduate)[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to American Sports University.|
- Becker, Michael (2008-09-24), [dead link] Unique sports university kicks off in San Bernardino, Press Enterprise, retrieved 2009-12-02
- Department of Consumer Affairs, BPPE: School Detail
- Johnson, Melanie C. (2009-06-06), [dead link] Sports university seeks OK for charter high school, Press Enterprise, retrieved 2009-12-02
- Richard, Chris (2009-07-17), [dead link] San Bernardino sports university wants to close part of Fourth Street, Press Enterprise, retrieved 2009-12-02