American Sugar Refining
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into American Sugar Refining Company. (Discuss) Proposed since July 2014.|
|Founded||1998 (partnership between the Florida Crystals Corporation and the Sugar Cane Growers Cooperative of Florida)|
|Luis Fernandez, Co-President, and Antonio L. Contreras, Jr., Co-President|
American Sugar Refining, Inc. is a large cane sugar refining company, with a production capacity of 6.5 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of consumer, industrial, food service, and specialty sweetener products. In 2013, it adopted the corporate brand name ASR Group. Its ownership structure is based on a partnership which includes the Fanjul brothers, and is based in Florida.
Across North America, American Sugar Refining owns and operates six sugar refineries as well as specialty sweetener production facilities and a strategic warehousing and distribution system that combine to provide seamless production and delivery of its products to customers across the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
The refineries are located in
- Yonkers, New York
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Chalmette, Louisiana - This plant celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2009.
- Crockett, California, (California and Hawaiian Sugar Company)
- Toronto, Canada (Redpath Sugar)
- Veracruz, Mexico
as well as closed refineries in:
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn (Domino Sugar Refinery) (the original)
- Fort Point, Boston (1902-1958)
- Charlestown, Boston (1958-?)
In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England and Portugal, formerly owned by Tate & Lyle. The company’s products are sold through a brand portfolio that includes the premier sugar brands Domino, C&H, Florida Crystals, Redpath, and Tate & Lyle.
The company is also the majority shareholder of Belize Sugar Industries, the only sugar mill in Belize.
The main competitor in the USA for refined cane sugar is Imperial Sugar.
Lyle's Golden Syrup
American Sugar Refining now own a perpetual worldwide licence to produce and sell Lyle's Golden Syrup, a brand of golden syrup. According to a news report, the Guinness Book of Records has concluded that the design of the Lyle's Golden Syrup tin, which has remained almost unchanged since 1885, forms Britain's oldest brand.
- United States v. E. C. Knight Co. (Antitrust case)
- http://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/news_home/Business_News/2013/01/American_Sugar_Refining_unveil.aspx?ID=%7B782864D8-E63C-49D4-87CD-C1F7CB6C0A33%7D&cck=1 Food Business News, American Sugar Refining unveils new brand name: ASR Group, January 2013.
- ASR Group: "Our Owners"
- article on PR newswire, found on 2011-04-25
- article on nola.com, retrieved on 2011-04-26
- Built 1902 to make Crystal Domino sugar: Michael J. Tyrrell (2004). Boston's Fort Point District. Arcadia Publishing. p. 28. ISBN 0-7385-3533-8.
- Sweet success for oldest brand