American Telemedicine Association
American Telemedicine Association (ATA), established in 1993 as a non-profit organization, ATA goal is to promote access to medical care for consumers and health professionals via telecommunications technology (alternatively referred to as telemedicine, telehealth or eHealth). Membership in ATA is open to individuals, companies and other healthcare and technology organizations.
The American Telemedicine Association is the leading resource and advocate promoting access to medical care for consumers and health professionals via telecommunications technology. ATA seeks to bring together diverse groups from traditional medicine, academic medical centers, technology and telecommunications companies, e-health, medical societies, government and others to overcome barriers to the advancement of telemedicine through the professional, ethical and equitable improvement in health care delivery. ATA is governed by a Board of Directors elected by the Association's membership.
The Association implements these objectives by:
- Educating government about telemedicine as an essential component in the delivery of modern medical care.
- Serving as a clearinghouse for telemedical information and services.
- Fostering networking and collaboration among interests in medicine and technology.
- Promoting research and education including the sponsorship of scientific educational meetings and theTelemedicine and e-Health Journal.
- Spearheading the development of appropriate clinical and industry policies and standards.
In accordance with the mission of the organization, ATA provides a broad range of services for its members and the industry as a whole.
- ATA Annual Meeting - the world's largest scientific meeting and exposition focusing exclusively on telemedicine, with hundreds of presentations, posters and workshops.
- On-line Member News Updates - direct, exclusive news briefs via email about the latest event and activities affecting telemedicine professionals.
- ATA Website - a widely used resource for telemedicine news and information.
- ATA Online Membership Directory - the single source of who's who in telemedicine.
- Telemedicine and e-Health - a peer-reviewed publication encompassing all aspects of clinical telemedicine practice; technical advances and enabling technologies; continuing medical education; and the impact of telemedicine on the quality, cost-effectiveness, and access to health care.
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs), Regional Chapters and Discussion Groups - allow members to address issues related to the advancement and application of telemedicine regarding specific areas including home telehealth, ocular telehealth, technology, teledermatology, telemental health, telenursing, telepathology, and telerehabilitation.
- General Maxwell R. Thurman Award
- List of video telecommunication services and product brands
- Choi, Candice (March 13, 2006). "Doctors, Patients Back Telemedicine". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved September 7, 2010.
- "Telemedicine growth examined". Fierce Healthcare. March 12, 2006. Retrieved September 7, 2010.
- "Tribal Healthcare 2000: Telecommunications and Telemedicine". The Ojibwe News. June 13, 1997. Retrieved September 7, 2010.