American Theatre Hall of Fame
The American Theater Hall of Fame in New York City was founded in 1972. Earl Blackwell was the first head of the Executive Committee. In an announcement at a luncheon meeting on March 1972, he said that the new Theater Hall of Fame would be located in the Uris Theatre (then under construction, now the Gershwin). James M. Nederlander and Gerard Oestreicher, who leased the theatre, donated the space for the Hall of Fame; Arnold Weissberger was another founder. Blackwell noted that the first 90 members of the Hall of Fame had been chosen, with their names "to be embossed in bronze-gold lettering on the theater's entrance walls flanking its grand staircase and escalator." The first group of inductees to be elected, 23 in all, were announced in October 1972.
Eligible inductees come from disciplines including actors, playwrights, song writers, designers, directors and producers who have had a career on Broadway spanning at least twenty-five years with a minimum of five major theatrical credits. Selections are made by approximately 400 voting members from the Theater Hall of Fame and the American Theatre Critics Association.
The 2009 inductees are Jim Dale, John McMartin, Roger Berlind, Ted Mann, Stephen Schwartz, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and posthumously, the late Lynn Redgrave and Charles Ludlam. The ceremony took place on January 25, 2010.
The 2010 inductees are Brian Dennehy, Linda Lavin, Fritz Weaver, Michael Blakemore, Caryl Churchill, Paul Gemignani; James Lapine and, posthumously, Joseph Chaikin. The ceremony took place on January 24, 2011, hosted by Pia Lindstrom.
The 2011 inductees are Tyne Daly, Ben Vereen, Ann Roth, Daniel Sullivan, producers George White, Elliot Martin and Woodie King Jr. and, posthumously, Paul Sills. The ceremony took place on January 20, 2012, hosted by Estelle Parsons.
The 2012 inductees will be Betty Buckley, Sam Waterston, Trevor Nunn, Michael Kahn, Andre Bishop, Paula Vogel, Christopher Durang and, posthumously, Martin Pakledinaz. The ceremony will be held on January 28, 2013.
- Theater Hall of Fame Fellowship Luncheon
In addition to the award ceremony and dinner, there is also a Theater Hall of Fame Fellowship Luncheon, held annually for the past 8 years. The luncheon "salutes a member of the Theater Hall of Fame who continues to work on Broadway, also presents grants to emerging theatre artists." The 9th Annual Luncheon, to be held on June 15, 2012 at the New York Friars Club will honor Joel Grey.
Inductees (This is a partial list, for a more complete list, see):
There is also a special Theater Hall of Fame Founders Award, established in 1993 in honor of the 3 founders, and awarded for an individual's outstanding contribution to the theatre.
Founders Award Awardees
- Gans, Andrew."Hamlisch, Lane, Birch, Tunick and Azenberg Among Theater Hall of Fame Inductees" playbill.com, October 10, 2008
- Calta, Louis. "A Hall of Fame for the Theater To Honor Outstanding Figures", New York Times, March 7, 1972, ISSN 03624331, p. 45
- (no author). "Uris Hall Of Fame Names First Group", New York Times, October 27, 1972, p. 33, ISSN 03624331
- Hodges, Ben."The Theater Hall of Fame"Theatre World (2008-2009) (Vol. 65), Hal Leonard Corporation, 2009, ISBN 1-4234-7369-8, p.393-394
- "Hall of Fame: theater veterans get a night in limelight"Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, January 30, 2008
- Gans, Andrew."Redgrave, Schwartz and Lloyd Webber Among Theater Hall of Fame Inductees" playbill.com, October 8, 2009
- Gans, Andrew and Peter, Thomas."Theater Hall of Fame Ceremony, Honoring Linda Lavin, Brian Dennehy, Michael Blakemore, Presented Jan. 24" playbill.com, January 24, 2011
- Gans, Andrew and Gioia, Michael. Tyne Daly, Ben Vereen, Ann Roth, Daniel Sullivan and More Inducted Into Theater Hall of Fame Jan. 30 playbill.com, January 30, 2012
- Gans, Andrew and Gioia, Michael. "EXCLUSIVE: Betty Buckley, Sam Waterston, Trevor Nunn, Christopher Durang, Andre Bishop Among Theater Hall of Fame Inductees" playbill.com, September 24, 2012
- Gans, Andrew."Bernadette Peters, Bebe Neuwirth, Stephen Schwartz Will Salute Joel Grey at Theater Hall of Fame Luncheon" playbill.com, May 29, 2012
- Chita Rivera
- Stephen Schwatrz Theater Hall of Fame Induction
- "26 Elected to the Theater Hall of Fame." The New York Times, March 3, 1981.
- Willis, John."The Theater Hall of Fame Founders Award"Theater World 2001-2002, Volume 58, Hal Leonard Corporation, 2004, ISBN 1-55783-625-6, p. 210
- Official web site
- Complete List of Theater Hall of Fame Members
- Playbill.com Article, January 28, 2008, "Fierstein, Ivey, O'Brien and More Inducted Into Theater Hall of Fame Jan. 28; Tune Hosts"