American Township, Allen County, Ohio
|American Township, Allen County, Ohio|
Location of American Township, Allen County, Ohio
|• Total||24.2 sq mi (62.6 km2)|
|• Land||24.2 sq mi (62.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||823 ft (251 m)|
|• Density||599/sq mi (231.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085690|
American Township is one of the twelve townships of Allen County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 14,381 people in the township (exclusive of Lima), 12,476 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Sugar Creek Township - north
- Bath Township - east
- Perry Township - southeastern corner
- Shawnee Township - south
- Amanda Township - southwest
- Marion Township - northwest
Name and history
It is the only American Township statewide. American Township was named German Township until 1918 when the township's citizens successfully petitioned for the name change, due to the sinking of the Lusitania. The petition cited Anti-German sentiment as the primary reason for the request.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): American township, Allen County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- American Township History American Township, Allen County, Ohio, Ohio, 2007. Accessed 29 September 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.