American University of Tirana
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (March 2013)|
|American University of Tirana|
|Universiteti Amerikan i Tiranës|
|Motto||Krijuar për të bërë ndryshimin|
|Motto in English||Created to make the difference|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Gjergji Minga|
|Campus||Suburban (Lundër, Tiranë)|
The American University of Tirana (Albanian: Universiteti Amerikan i Tiranës, UAT) is a private for-profit university, established in March 2008.
It was licensed by the Ministry of Education and Sciences (Albanian: Ministria e Arsimit dhe Shkencës, MASH). with the ruling of the Council of Ministers no. 259, dated 27.02.2008. It offers 16 study programs.
UAT is not affiliated with any American universities. Locally, UAT is part of the AAE Group (Albanian American Education Group), a consortium of four Albanian schools and universities. Internationally, UAT has signed collaboration agreements and MoUs with: University of Sheffield, UK, University of Pisa, Italy, Istanbul Aydin University, Turkey, University of Kentucky, USA, and Morehead State University, USA.
As of academic year 2012-2013, the American University of Tirana offers the following courses:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Lab Technician
- Faculty of Sciences and Humanities
- Finance and Banking
- Business Administration
- Political Science
- Faculty of Arts and Architecture
- Visual Arts
The "Nexhat and Manush Peshkëpia" library of the American University of Tirana contains a collection of over 75,000 books, of which about 95% are in the English language. Thus, it is likely the largest university library not only in Albania, but in the whole South East European region. The books cover virtually all branches of knowledge, such as Law, Economics, Politics, History, Sociology, Medicine, Computer Science, Psychology, Arts, etc. The book collection of the library is a donation by the US-based, not-for-profit organisation International Book Project. The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has also given considerable support in the realisation of this project. The university has donated some 3,000 books from its collection to the Municipality of Tirana, to promote wider availability of books to the general public, especially students of public and private universities.
The academic programmes of the American University of Tirana have been fully accredited by the Albanian Ministry of Education and Sciences.
In 2011 the Albanian Ministry of Education and Sciences subcontracted the German company CHE to perform an evaluation and ranking of Albanian universities. Among the three academic programmes for which UAT was evaluated, it was ranked as first for two of them (Economics and Nursing) and among the first three universities for the other programme (Law),. The Webometrics Ranking of World Universities ranks UAT at the 23rd spot among universities in Albania. The 4international Colleges and Universities 2013 Web ranking ranks UAT at 11th place among Albanian universities, and at 5th place among private Albanian universities,.
- About Albanian American Education Group
- Sea Container Sets Sail to Albania!, http://intlbookproject.wordpress.com/2010/04/
- Universiteti Amerikan i Tiranës përuron bibliotekën e re, http://www.zeriamerikes.com/content/universiteti-amerikan-i-tiranes-peruron-biblioteken-e-re-135453733/519769.html
- Projekti Pilot Renditja e IAL-ve, http://www.mash.gov.al/faqe.php?id1=1&id2=86&id3=209
- Greater transparency in the Albanian higher education sector, http://www.che-ranking.de/cms/?getObject=613&getNewsID=1307&getCB=309&getLang=en
- Webometrics Ranking of World Universities for Albania, http://www.webometrics.info/en/Europe/Albania?page=0
- 4international Colleges and Universities, http://www.4icu.org/al/