Ameril Umbra Kato
|Ameril Umbra Kato|
|Born||Al-Ustaj Umbra Amiril Kato
18 May 1946
Datu Piang, Maguindanao
|Died||14 April 2015 (aged 68)
Cause of death
|Occupation||Leader and Founder of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters|
Arson (5 counts)
Attempted Murder (9 counts)
Robbery (26 counts)
Arson (10 counts)
|Allegiance||Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters|
|Philippine National Police|
Al-Ustaj Umbra Amiril Kato (18 May 1946 – 14 April 2015) was the founder of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) a group which seceded from Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF). He joined the MILF after 1985, after he graduated from Imam Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Umbra Kato was the Philippines' most wanted man though due to his still official membership in the MILF he was not hunted by the military. However a warrant of arrest was filed against him together with other BIFF members by the Philippine National Police. The Armed Forces of the Philippines, with the MILF, launched Operation Darkhorse in a bid to arrest him in January 2014.
Kato reportedly died on 14 April 2015 of a heart attack. BIFF spokesperson Abu Misry Mama, confirmed his death after he was informed by Kato's son that he died at 2:00 am due to complications from pneumonia. He was reported to have died in Barangay Kateman in Guindulungan, Maguindanao but this was denied by the barangay chairman.
- "PNP Nationwide Ten Most Wanted Person". Philippine National Police. Philippine National Police. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- Madrid, Red (14 April 2015). "Ameril Umbra Kato: Moro Rebel to Rogue". News Central Philippines. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Torres, Joe (14 April 2015). "Philippines rebel chief dies of heart attack". Manila: UCA News. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "AFP: Hardline Philippine rebel vows to derail peace". Google.com. 2011-08-28. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Andong, Lore Mae (14 April 2015). "BIFF confirms Kato's death; replacement named". ABS-CBN News Central Mindanao. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- Profile of Umbra Kato
- abs-cbn: MILF: Umbra Kato’s group not acceptable, February 16, 2011 (retrieved May 7, 2011)