Ames was founded in 1883.
A post office was opened in Shirley in 1868 (also known as Elm Creek, it is now an extinct town), but the post office was moved to Ames in 1878 and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1993.
Ames is part of the Clifton-Clyde Unified School District 224. The school district includes Clifton, Clyde, Vining, Ames, St. Joseph, and nearby rural areas of Clay, Cloud, Washington counties. The district has three schools:
- Clifton-Clyde Senior High School, located in Clyde.
- Clifton-Clyde Middle School, located in Clifton.
- Clifton-Clyde Grade School, located in Clifton.
- Hollibaugh, E. F. (1903). Biographical History of Cloud County, Kansas: Biographies of Representative Citizens. Illustrated with Portraits of Prominent People, Cuts of Homes, Stock, Etc.. Wilson, Humphrey & Company. p. 880.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- USD 224
|This article about a location in Cloud County, Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|