|Administrative region:||West Greece|
|Population statistics (as of 2011)|
|- Area:||1,091.8 km2 (422 sq mi)|
|- Density:||16 /km2 (40 /sq mi)|
|- Area:||390.6 km2 (151 sq mi)|
|- Density:||26 /km2 (68 /sq mi)|
|Time zone:||EET/EEST (UTC+2/3)|
|Postal code:||305 00|
Amfilochia (Greek: Αμφιλοχία) is a town and a municipality in the northwestern part of Aetolia-Acarnania in Greece, on the site of ancient Amfilochia. Under the Ottoman Empire, it was known as Karvasaras (Καρβασαράς; from caravanserai).
Amfilochia is situated by the Ambracian Gulf and features an amphitheatre. Amfilochia dates back to the ancient times and also features the ancient cities of Amphilochian Argos and Limnaia (or Limnea).
The municipality Amfilochia was formed at the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the following 3 former municipalities, that became municipal units:
The municipal unit of Amfilochia is divided into the following communities:
- Amfilochia (Amfilochia, Boukka, Limnaia and Platos)
- Ampelaki (Ampelaki, Amfilochiko Argos, Ariada, Kampos and Keramidi)
- Anoixiatiko (Anoixiatiko, Agia Triada, Katafourko, Mavrorachi, Moni Retha, Xirolivado, Petralona, Profitis Ilia, Ptelea, Skreiko, Triantafylloula, Tsoukka, Psila Alonia)
- Kechrinia (Kechrinia, Agioi Theodoroi, Kanalos, Kompothekla, Makrychoria, Falangias)
- Loutro (Loutro, Krikellos, Xirakia)
- Megas Kampos
- Sardinia (Sardinia, Kalyvia)
- Sparto (Sparto, Pigadaki, Tria Alonia)
- Kostas Mentis (1913-November 27, 1983), a Greek actor
Amfilochia has schools, a lyceum (middle school), a few gymnasia (secondary schools), churches, banks, a supermarket a port and squares (plateia).
Amfilochia is linked with the GR-5 (E55 and E951, Antirrio - Messolonghi - Ioannina) and is also linked with the GR-42 serving the extreme northwestern parts including Vonitsa, Preveza and the entire island of Lefkada. Amfilochia will be linked with the Ionia Odos. Amfilochia is not linked with a railway.
A part of this article is translated from the German Wikipedia
- Municipality of Amfilochia (Greek)
- Amfilochia (municipality) information
- Amfilochia (town) information
|This West Greece location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|