Amherst Township, Lorain County, Ohio
|Amherst Township, Lorain County, Ohio|
Houses and fields in western Amherst Township
Location in Lorain County, Ohio
|• Total||15.5 sq mi (40.0 km2)|
|• Land||15.4 sq mi (39.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||738 ft (225 m)|
|• Density||493.4/sq mi (190.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086499|
Amherst Township is one of the eighteen townships of Lorain County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 7,598 people in the township, 6,174 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in northern Lorain County, it borders the following townships and city:
- Lorain - north
- Sheffield Township - northeast corner
- Elyria Township - east
- Carlisle Township - southeast corner
- New Russia Township - south
- Henrietta Township - southwest corner
- Brownhelm Township - west
Name and history
It is the only Amherst Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Dennis Abraham, Neil Lynch, and David Urig.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lorain County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 14 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Amherst Township Accessed 2007-05-14.